Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Trailing stops

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby bloveless » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:17 pm

Hello Mark,
Is there any way to automate trailing loss stop price alerts as a percentage, i.e., 7%, 8%, 10%, etc.? Thanks, Bill
Bill
bloveless

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:08 pm

Hi Bill,

What is it that you would like automated? Do you mean the default values of a new alert you're trying to set up? The defaults of new alerts always default to the same settings, they aren't currently customizable.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby bloveless » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:49 am

Hi Mark, What I would like to be able to do is select a percentage of a recent high price to use as a trailing stop loss alert; i.e., 7%. Now I determine the high, subtract 7% then set that as a price alert. Is it possible to come up with something like that? I would be a very handy tool! Thanks, Bill
Bill
bloveless

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:49 am

Hi Bill,

Yes, when you set an alert, choose the type of "Trailing Stop Loss", and you can then enter a percentage, and a date when you want the trailing to start. With this type of alert, the trigger point is automatically increased whenever the price reaches new highs. The trigger point only goes up, it doesn't move down. It is designed to help you lock in profits.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby bloveless » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:03 am

Thanks Mark! I didn't realize that the feature was already in FM (I should have know!). Thanks again for the fantastic work you put into this program - now if I could just email graphs in the "professional" version it would be perfect!! Bill
Bill
bloveless

Return to Graphs