Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Single Fund with SPX Overlay ... I must be missing something

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby davephx » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:11 pm

Using Fund Manger (Win XP) Version 9.6 with Quote Module 413 and Transaction Module 135 seem latest updates.

Dumb Basic question I have a CPA background and have spent hours reading help, tutorial etc unable to do something very simple.

I have downloaded history of funds I wish to graph and I want to graph each against the S&P500 index SPX which I have the data or. Would seem an easy overlay but not for me . Am using the Investment Overlay/ Price+Distrubutions Graph.

I want to scroll thru each fund on the chart and see it compared to the SPX index. I fund at a time on a graph compared to the SPX

I have the Graphs: Price+Dist Investment overlay chart

It scrolls with the funds I am watching on left on top and shows relative performance starting at 100% for time period.

All I want to do is also have the S&P500 overlay so each that scroll compare to the S&P500 which I believe should show up further on the right of graph in title.

I try Help - Selecting Investments to Overlay - I have tried to follow these directions about 20 times but not getting results desired.

Go to Graphs/Options/Overlaid Investments

I highlight SPX as the investment to overlay

In the bottom box I want my other 5 symbols to be in the Scrolling Position.

But the only option I can select is SPX not my others.

If select SPX both places (only option for "Investment in Scrolling Position" I get nothing different. No SPX overlay just same can see each chart as I wish (including SPX) but no overlay comparison of each to the SPX.

I have tried all sorts of other things but just can not get graphs for each fund compared to the SPX

I am probably overlooking something obvious but now 2 hours of trying I give up.

OOOPS got what I want and lost it... have no idea how I got the SPX overlay but did and just as I wanted it.

BUT deleted one investment no longer want to monitor. Can find no way to delete. Search Help tells how to delete prices but not an investment. So I delete the .dat file for the fund manually from My Computer.

Reload Fund Manager and warns me about missing file but fine load rest.

Now lost the SPX overlay .... I try all sorts of things to try and get it back with no success.

I restore the .dat file and get the SPX overlay back.

So now I'm at having to include the investment I don't want to get the SPX overlay (to right on top of Graph vs investments that scroll shown on left margin.

Am I missing something.. it really doesn't seem it should be this complex to compare each investment to SPX on a chart.

Everything ELSE I really like!
davephx

Postby Mark » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:14 am

Hi davephx,

On this graph there is only 1 "scrolling position". That means as you scroll, only 1 investment is changed. Since you want the SPX to be always on your graph, you do not want that in the scrolling position. Try this:

1) Select "Graphs / Investment Overlay / Price + Dist"
2) Select "Portfolio / <some port>" where <some port> is the portfolio that you want to compare the investments in to the SPX. It may be your top most sub-portfolio.
3) Select "Graphs / Options / Overlaid Investments..." and select only 2 investments, the SPX, and one other investment. Specify that one other investment to be in the scrolling position, not the SPX. Click OK.
4) Now, scroll, using the arrow or page up/down keys, and the first investment listed (left-most on the title) will change. This should not be the SPX, the SPX should be listed 2nd on the title, so it stays on the graph as you scroll.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Graphs