Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Y labels issue with Y axis zoom

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby Djobydjoba » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:25 pm

I never use Y axis zoom, but for the debug...

Just play a little bit with Zoom in and Zoom out the Y axis, there is a problem with the Y-labels min and max:

Eg:
https://i.ibb.co/4fL3Wkt/20220922-jeu-23h23-01.png
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:45 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

I believe you have on: Automatic Resolution for Y Axis Labels

When this option is on, and you specify the min/max explicitly, it will label the min/max with the necessary resolution. The intermediate labels only need 0 points past the decimal, but to accurately display the min/max it needs all those digits you see there. It appears whatever zoom you performed, went in some %, resulting in a non-integer min/max.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:26 pm

I believe you have on: Automatic Resolution for Y Axis Labels

Right.

What do you mean by "if you specify the min/max explicitly"? In the graph options, "Use Exact Min/Max" is not checked.

If these are just the min and max of the Y scale, I wonder what's the point of the accuracy of the min/max up to a point that more resolution than the other (intermediate) labels is needed. That level of accuracy doesn't look necessary for a min and a max of a scale. This difference of resolution into the same scale looks just strange and like a bug...
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:47 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

You can either allow FM to calculate a minimum/maximum that fits all the data (called "Autoscale"), or you can specify a min/max. See "View / Scale..." to choose either to autoscale or specify a min/max.

The option you mentioned (Y Axis Autoscale: Use Exact Min/Max) applies only to when using the autoscale option, not when specifying a min/max. If this option is on, the scale goes to the exact highest/lowest recorded data, with no extra padding. If this option is off, it goes to a nicely rounded number, so all the gridlines are evenly spaced, even at the top/bottom. This isn't relevant to the issue you're describing. This option can be useful to turn off if for example you want to easily see the min/max # printed out that the graph hit during a certain date range. Again though, it only applies when autoscale is on.

When you use the Y axis zoom keyboard shortcuts you are turning off autoscale, and having FM specify for you some other min/max. When in this mode, the min/max specified numbers will be printed out to the necessary precision to show the whole number (assuming you have automatic resolution turned on for the Y axis labels).

I understand it looks odd in the screenshot you sent, but it is working as intended.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:44 am

Thanks for the explanation, Mark.

Yes, it looks odd. Personally I don't mind at all, but still I tend to think that the argument of accuracy of min/max doesn't require to display 8 decimals, or even 6 decimals, particularly when the intermediate labels have a low resolution. From a user perspective it is quite overwhelming.

Just an idea: in this specific situation, why not limiting the min/max label resolution to the resolution defined in the General Preferences? At least when it works given the automatic resolution of the intermediate labels. And whenever this doesn't work (because, for example, the intermediate labels have a higher resolution, or this leads to a doubling of labels), add as many decimals as necessary from what is defined in the General Preferences, but just the right amount, not always the maximum.

And maybe this limitation could be applicable in another case:

Still with "Automatic Resolution For Y Axis Labels" on, when the date range is a unique date (eg. 22/09/22 > 22/09/22) or a range in the future, what is plotted is a unique straight line in the center of the Y-scale. The Y-scale label may have in this case a very high resolution. See for example at the very end of this animated screenshot I've posted in another thread: 8 decimals.

In this specific situation too, with only one Y label and a straight line, shouldn't be better to limit as well the resolution to what is defined in the General Preferences?
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:22 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

We can give it some thought... The reason it isn't limited to the display preferences setting is that it is in "Automatic" mode. Maybe we could still limit it to this, but only if the other labels are using less resolution.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Graphs