Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Pie Chart

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager graphs.

Postby hoop » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Mark,
I recently updated Fundmanager to the latest version and have seen a number of strange things since updating. The latest is the pie chart for asset allocation. I've attempted to upload an image which shows the pie chart all one color which happens to be the lowest percentage asset. It only happens on a few of my portfolios. Any idea what I have done to cause this?
Thanks
Greg
Attachments
Pie Chart Issue.jpg
Pie Chart Issue.jpg (80.12 KiB) Viewed 4646 times
hoop

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:42 pm

Hi Greg,

Looks like it might be an odd drawing artifact we haven't run into before. Would you be willing to email us a backup of your data, so we can try to reproduce it here?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby hoop » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:31 am

Mark,
This issue is on my Macbook Pro running Wine. (same behavior when running Crossover) Has worked fine in the past but not now on the most recent version of Fund manager.....
I installed the latest Fund Manager version on my old Windows machine and loaded my portfolio and investment data files and there are no issues with the Asset allocation pie chart so it looks like its an issue when running on a Mac.
I may try installing older version(s) to see if I can find one that works acceptably or I'll just quit using the pie charts.
I realize that you don't support Mac installations but do you have any other thoughts or ideas?
Thanks
Greg
hoop

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:45 am

Hi Greg,

I suspect it is an issue drawing the very small wedge. Instead of the small wedge somehow the graphics engine is drawing nearly a full circle. You might see if making the window bigger helps, or you could switch to using a "Stacked" graph, which is basically a pie chart versus time. Stacked graphs can be plotted with a Y axis of value, or percentage (Graph Options / Normalize).
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby hoop » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:01 am

Mark,
I installed the old 2016 version of Fund Manager and everything works great with pie charts. I also backed up to the earlier 2018 versions and the pie chart issue came back.
Can you share any tips on ensuring I get the 2016 version and data updated properly?
Thanks
Greg
hoop

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:03 am

Hi Greg,

Interesting. I didn't follow what kind of tips you were looking for?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby hoop » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:19 am

Mark,
I've discovered that if I uncheck the "sort pie chart slices by value" on the latest version of Fund Manager, the display problem goes away except they aren't properly sorted of course. I may just go with this option since it allows me to use the latest version. Additionally, the stacked graph for asset allocation is a pretty cool option/solution as well since it actually shows how your asset allocation has progressed over time.
Thanks
Greg
hoop

Postby hoop » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:58 am

Oh well, the "uncheck sort by value" fix was short lived. The program eventually started displaying a subset of the total pie slices. Guess I'll either revert back to 2016 version or use a spreadsheet...
hoop

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:36 am

Hi Greg,

Another idea: Lower the value of "Graphs / Options / Display... / Maximum Number of Slices in "Pie" Graphs". If you set that to 10 for that example, that should fix it. Also, I just noticed you have 2 "Cash" asset types. If you just had 1, and put all of your cash in the same asset type, that would eliminate that very small one causing the problem.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby hoop » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:09 pm

Mark,
I consolidated the two "cash" asset types & changed the max number of pie slices to 12 & it appears to have resolved the issue. The really strange part is that when I went back and changed the max pie slices back to the default 100, it still worked properly.
One added benefit from this effort was that it got me to try the "Wine" software and it works much better for me than "Crossover".

I really appreciate the help!
hoop

Return to Graphs