Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Capital Gains - Investment Total by Term

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby jw » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:47 pm

Is there a way to summarize by Term so that each Investment would only list one line each for either Short or Long Term?

Instead of having multiple lines for each Investment, the report would list only a single line each for Short and/or Long.

The Bought column would be the first buy date and the Sold column would be the last sell date. The Sell Value, Cost Basis, Gain/Loss columns would be totaled for each Term type.

This is not about the Term Totals at the bottom of the report.
jw

Postby Mark » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:51 pm

Hi jw,

Sorry, no, this isn't an option currently available in the Capital Gains report. If you really wanted, you could export the report to CSV, and do this combining in Excel. Is there some particular reason you're looking for the data in this format?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby jw » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:36 am

The reason I asked was because I noticed that my accountant would enter only one line on Sched D for stocks that had multiple buys but where all lots were sold together on one sell order.
jw

Postby Mark » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:38 am

Hi jw,

You can do this in Fund Manager. If you do not have "Use Wash Sale Rules" turned on under "Options / Report Preferences... / Capital Gains", then you will get one line item in the Capital Gains report for each sell transaction. If that one sell transaction had multiple purchases, the buy date column will show the date range of the associated buys, and the cost basis is the combination of all these buys.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby jw » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:48 am

That did it. I got one line for each stock with multiple buy lots and one sell based on Term. Just what I wanted.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
jw

Return to Reports