Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Downloaded BUY data not showing up as Invested amount

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby red_puppy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:59 pm

I am just beginning to use FM but I am getting some odd results for the Portfolio Peformance Report. I just downloaded transaction data from my investment house. Some of the recent buys show up well described (date, price, shares) in the Data Register. Some older purchases only showed up as a 'retrieved balance' with number of shares held only, no purchase price or purchase data. I went into one of the securities that indicated 'retrieved balance' and manually entered transaction information for that security. Then I attempted to make a Portfolio Peformance Report for the year to date. The only security that showed an Invested amount was the one for which I had manually added transaction data - all others showed $0 for Invested, but indicated values for Distributions, End Value, and Gain. Why don't the securities for which there was valid downloaded transaction data indicate an Invested amount?
red_puppy

Postby Mark » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:33 pm

Hi red_puppy,

Here is the description of the "Invested" column for the Portfolio Performance report from the online help:

Code: Select all
Net out of pocket contributions made by the investor. The sum of all purchases minus all redemptions within the specified date range. (Does not include reinvested distributions.)  Includes OOP cost of Transfer In transactions.  Transfer Out transactions reduce this amount by the OOP cost transferred out.

So, if you look at one of these investments that has 0 for Invested, see if there are any purchases or sells within the date range of your report. You can do this in the Data Register with the 'Investments (all)' data type selected.

If you had a purchase, but the purchase was made at a price/cost of $0, then this would not be adding anything into the "Invested" field of this report.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby red_puppy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:57 pm

Hi Mark -
You asked some revealing questions, thanks. Indeed, the investments for which Investment was listed as $0 in the report was for those purchased > 90 days ago and for which only number of shares was retrieved, hence price = $0. That explains nearly everything. However, my report date range was for 1/1/2009 - 10/11/2009 and I have valid transaction data for EXelon and Exxon that I purchased recently. Data Register for Exxon reveals Date = 10/2/09, price = $66.94, shares = 30, total = $2019.15, fee = 10.95, type = purchase and Exxon doesn't show up in the report at all. Similarly Exelon purchased 10/1/09 and 10/2/09 has price and shares > $0 and it also does not show up in the report. The mystery continues.. Thanks for your prompt attention to my several questions today!

Mark wrote:So, if you look at one of these investments that has 0 for Invested, see if there are any purchases or sells within the date range of your report. You can do this in the Data Register with the 'Investments (all)' data type selected.

If you had a purchase, but the purchase was made at a price/cost of $0, then this would not be adding anything into the "Invested" field of this report.
red_puppy

Postby Mark » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:03 pm

Hi red_puppy,

Here are some things to check:

1) If you turn on "View / Hidden Investments" do these investments then show up? If so, then these investments are either hidden, or have zero shares owned, and you have the option "Options / Report Preferences... / Display / Do Not Display Investments With Zero Shares" turned on.

2) Are these investments in a sub-portfolio that you're reporting on?

3) Do you maybe just need to use the vertical scroll bar to scroll some investments into view?

4) Do you have a report filter turned on? See "Edit / Report Settings..." and click on the "Filter..." button.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby red_puppy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:47 pm

Hi Mark -
I am embarassed to say it was number 3. I thought the summary line was the bottom of the report and didn't realize that the listing above could be scrolled to bring those 'missing' investments into view. Thanks for the help!
red_puppy

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:27 am

Hi red_puppy,

You're not the first person that has run into the problem. Glad it was easily fixed.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports