Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Current value - sum of all purchases?

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby jstolzen » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:42 pm

Hi, Mark. Is there a custom report field to display the current value of all shares still owned (say, in a mutual fund account) minus the purchase price for those shares?

Note that I'm trying to exclude dividends and distributions from any computations, and am just trying to answer the question.."if I invested $X initially, and added $Y, sold $Z, how much have I made or lost on the purchases ($X + $Y)?"

It seems tricky if the fund paid out distributions that were reinvested, thereby purchasing more shares. If I didn't sell those shares, would they then become part of my OOP cost?

I looked at Gain-Current and thought that might do it, but the #s I'm getting on my custom report are way different than I would have expected for that.

Thx -

Jim
jstolzen

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:58 pm

Hi Jim,

The OOP figures sound like what you're looking for. A reinvested distribution doesn't change your OOP figures, only when you add or remove money. So, if you want the current value minus your OOP cost, see the "Gain (current)" field in a Custom report. Another way to see this is with the standard Portfolio Performance report, which shows this information, but for a specific date range, instead of over the full history.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby jstolzen » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:15 pm

Thanks..I attempted to add OOP to my custom report, but it looks like the only available OOP fields are per-share.

Is there a field that represents total dollar change in current value vs. invested value (vs $s/share)?

Also - I have some cash-like investments (Annuities) that I invested $X in, and the current value is still $X..because we consume the dividends monthly. Yet, the OOP Gain-C is non-zero. Shouldn't it be zero if I have $X in the Annuity and I purchased it for $X?
jstolzen

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:20 pm

Is there a field that represents total dollar change in current value vs. invested value (vs $s/share)?

Yes, it is: "Gain (current)"

I have some cash-like investments (Annuities) that I invested $X in, and the current value is still $X..because we consume the dividends monthly. Yet, the OOP Gain-C is non-zero. Shouldn't it be zero if I have $X in the Annuity and I purchased it for $X?

No, because you took money out in dividends, which lowers your OOP cost. OOP increases when you buy, decreases when you sell or take a distribution, and doesn't change if you reinvest a distribution. Basically it is tracking how much money comes out and goes into your wallet.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby jstolzen » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:18 pm

OK..but following that same logic, I thought that the difference between Value & Cost on the "Cost - Value" graph would be the same value as Gain (current). But it's not. Why would that be?

I'm ultimately looking to answer the question "if I invested $X in something, how much above (or under) $X am I today?" so that I can make informed decisions on where to trim back our holdings now that the SPX is at all time highs.

I realize additional buys, sells and distributions affect the math on all that, but am really not sure how..
jstolzen

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:07 pm

Hi Jim,

That graph has both "historical" and "current" modes. Make sure you're in "current" by turning off "Graphs / Options / Historical cost". Also, make sure the graph starts on/before your first purchase, if you're comparing to Gain (current), otherwise use Gain (between) with the same dates in the report as your graph, as the graph plots the gain from the starting graph date.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports