Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Over a year old buy/sell transactions for sold securities

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby amir » Thu May 21, 2009 9:56 am

Hello

I have installed Fund Manager Advisor on Windows Vista for a trial version. I have downloaded the date for one of my managed account (Ameritrade).

Most of the transactions have been transfered successfuly however it seems that all the securities (stocks and funds) that I have purchased more than a year ago and that I have already sold do not have the original purchase transaction. Instead of the original purchase transaction I have a purchase transaction for 5/18/2008 with $0 as the price. the memo state "Adjustment to obtain retrieved balance".

also, I did not retrieve any securities that I bought more than a year ago and sold more than a year ago. Is that a limitation on Ameritrade side, if so what is the best way to retrieve this information

Thank you!
amir

Postby Mark » Thu May 21, 2009 10:26 am

Hi amir,

Thanks for trying out Fund Manager.

When you retrieve transactions & positions Fund Manager requests all available transactions from the broker's OFX server, and the current positions. Different brokers keep your transaction history on their OFX servers for varying amounts of time. Some keep it for as little as 90 days, others keep it for your full account history, it just depends on the broker. In this case, it sounds like you were only able to get transactions for the last year. Fund Manager then automatically records this 'adjustment' transaction to get your balance correct as of today. This 'adjustment' transaction is essentially a combination of all prior transactions up to that adjustment transaction date.

If you have access to the historical transactions prior to this adjustment transaction, you can delete the adjustment transaction, and import or manually enter these older historical transactions. I believe with Ameritrade you can download older transactions through their 'web' server to a CSV file (they only allow you to download 1 year at a time this way). You can massage this file in Excel and then import it with our 'generic' transaction import. This is a little more work, but depending on the number of historical transactions you have it may be easier than manually entering.

Alternatively, you can modify the adjustment transaction to have a purchase price equivalent to the cost basis of those shares. It is a trade off between how much historical accuracy you want versus the effort of getting those older transactions into Fund Manager.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby amir » Thu May 21, 2009 10:35 am

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

I have all the past transaction in an excel file and I will try to load them.
amir

Return to Reports