Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

My principal vs current value

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby PhRob23 » Wed May 10, 2023 2:13 am

I am just starting to use Fund Manager and so far I love the program (Thank you!).

My most burning newbie question is: How do I see, side-by-side, the amount that I put in and the amount of its current value on any given day?

To rephrase, the amount that I put in I am calling my principal, exclusive of all other additions like dividends, interest, payouts reinvested, etc. -- Just the total of what I committed out of pocket from the start. And next to that I'd like to see the current value of the same investment as if I were to redeem it on that same day.

I am trying to answer the simple question, "By putting my money in the market and leaving it there for the last (so-many) years, how much will I gain or lose if I sell everything right now?"

For me, this is my main bottom line question. As I get more comfortable with FM, I am sure I will want more precision, and have more questions.
PhRob23

Postby Mark » Wed May 10, 2023 9:14 am

Hi PhRob23,

Thanks for trying Fund Manager. You can get what you're after in either report or graphical format. For a report, you can use either a Portfolio Performance or Custom report. If you use a Portfolio Performance report, use a date range of "earliest transaction to date", and you'll see your contributions, current value, and gain/loss. You can also create this in a Custom report with fields:

Out of pocket basis (current)
Value (ending)

In graphical form, you can use either the Portfolio Cost - Value or investment Cost - Value graphs.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby PhRob23 » Wed May 10, 2023 10:55 am

That works. Brilliantly.
Thanks for your timely help!
PhRob23

Return to Reports