Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Incorrect Total for Withdrawn Dist (BTW)

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby tktf » Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:12 am

Hi,

I was working on a new custom report and ran into an issue. To demonstrate the problem I've created a very simple report showing just two fields and for a small subportfolio. The report shows both Distributed Distributions (BTW) and Withdrawn Distributions (BTW). The values in each column are identical for each investment, but the totals are different (see attachment, below).

WithdrawnDistBTW.png
WithdrawnDistBTW.png (14.33 KiB) Viewed 1478 times

There is no filter on the report so all investments, including the default cash account for this subportfolio, are included. This looks like a bug to me but maybe there is another explanation(?).

I'm currently on version 2020.16.12.100 of Fund Manager.

Regards,
Steven
tktf

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:08 pm

Hi Steven,

The "Withdrawn Dist" is different at a sub-portfolio level. It is how much is withdrawn in distributions from that line item. For an investment, it is just the distributed distributions, but if at the portfolio level those funds are deposited into cash that remains in the portfolio, they aren't withdrawn distributions at the portfolio level. For more info, please read this documentation on external cash flow.

A helpful tool to see what is withdrawn at the portfolio level is available by using an Investment Transaction report, and turning on the filter: "Include only portfolio external transactions (contributions/withdrawals)". This will show you all the money that flowed in or out at that portfolio level.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby tktf » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:26 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the explanation. I'll take a look at the documentation you mentioned.

Although I understand your explanation, it is very odd (to me) to have a column of numbers that does not add up to the total below the column. Perhaps you could add some marker to such totals (an asterisk?) in the future to help identify that it is not what someone might normally call a "total".

Regards,
Steven
tktf

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:14 pm

Hi Steven,

In the Portfolio Performance report, where this field is also shown, we do try to show this by not showing a horizontal line under the columns that aren't sums like this. However, in the Custom report, the horizontal line is still shown. Thanks for the feedback.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports