Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Portfolio Performance Bug?

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby tlitkowski » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:47 pm

Using FM 9.5 Evaluation Copy. Running Portfolio Performance report from 9/30/08 to 3/31/09. The report does not pick up the value for 9/30/08 reported in the data register. Instead, the report shows the value for whatever the prior date was. If I run the report from 10/1/08 to 3/31/08, it picks up the 9/30/08 prices. Sounds like a bug to me.
tlitkowski

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi tlitkowski,

Thanks for trying Fund Manager.

This is the correct/intended operation. Reports are inclusive of activity on the beginning and ending dates, so any 'beginning' values are the value on the morning of the report starting date, which is the same as the close on the end of the prior day.

So, for example on your report beginning on 9/30, the beginning value will be the value at the start of 9/30, not the close of 9/30.

The report fields are consistent with each other. For example, the Gain is equal to the End_Val + Distrib + Invested - Beg_Val. Both Distrib and Invested include any distributions and investments on the report starting date.

From within any report, you can choose "Help / Help on Report..." and the online help will explain how each field is calculated.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby tlitkowski » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:32 am

Thanks for the help. A little different than what I am used to.

Question about exporting data. As a former Captools user, I am concerned about being able to move my data to another package if at sometime the software is not supported. Is there any thought being given to being able to export all transactions in a format much like Captools. I see that the export built into FM does not allow that kind of export, but if moving to another software platform it might be helpful. I would hate to get locked into a package that doesn't give me any options for future changes.

Thanks again for your help. I like FM so far--it certainly looks and feels nicer than Captools!

Tom
tlitkowski

Postby Mark » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:41 am

Hi Tom,

I can understand that concern. Currently, you can export all transactions to either text based files, or to a .QIF file, which most packages can read. You can also export any report to a fixed with text file, so you could make an Investment Transaction report, and export that to Excel, or any other spreadsheet program:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq_export_excel.php

Our next version will also have the ability to export reports directly to CSV files. Even with all these export options, I do agree it would be good to add more flexibility in exporting. Maybe some export command that allows you to pick the fields exported, and their order would be good.

Also, if you are coming from Captools, you may like to read our instructions on transferring if you haven't already seen them:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/captools_import.html
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby tlitkowski » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:50 am

Maybe some export command that allows you to pick the fields exported, and their order would be good.

That would be an excellent solution. It would certainly be helpful to pick the fields and formats for export.

Thanks again.

Tom
tlitkowski

Postby tlitkowski » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:40 pm

I have been working with the custom report feature to export the transaction fields that I want. The transactions report already developed has the basic information I need, but I would like to add a couple of fields. The problem is that I don't know what fields are being used for the transaction report. I have looked at the entire list of fields several times and still can't figure out which ones are being used. Can you tell me which fields are being used to create the transaction report?

Thanks so much.

Tom
tlitkowski

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi Tom,

You cannot re-create the Investment Transactions report using a Custom report. The Investment Transaction report lists by transaction. The Custom report lists by Investment, Symbol, Asset Type, Inv. Goal, or Investment Type. Each line in the Custom report is data for a whole investment etc, not a particular transaction in an investment.

You can somewhat customize the Investment Transactions report to give you the columns you want. See "Options / Report Preferences... / Investment Transactions".
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby tlitkowski » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:17 pm

Thanks Mark. I thought there might be a little more flexibility with that.

Tom
tlitkowski

Return to Reports