Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

copying selcted transactions from a larger portfolio

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby toteman » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:10 am

Hello Mark and fellow fund manager users, I was hoping for some help if anyone can please assist me. I am trying to copy from a master portfolio with several years trading transactions, only a limited number of trading transactions confined to a particulatr Tax year. I want to copy that whole 1 Tax years trading transactions from a multi year transaction portrfolio and paste them into a brand new sub portfolio, with just the one isolated Tax years transactions within. Any help in doing this is much appreciated. the reason mainly being, that when I do isolate the particular tax year chosen into a capital gains type report from out of the multi year portfolio, it does not allow me to do a currency conversion toggle from the default currency to the foreign currency, within that isolated year report taken from the larger multi year postfolio. the only time I can get the reports from the multi year portfolio to allow me to do a toggle back and forth from multi currencies is when I display all transactions from the multi year portfolio within any given report format, it doesn't allow me this currency conversion whenever I isolate a selected amount of transactions taken from the larger multi year portfolio to any smaller time frame other than the full time frame of all transactions within the larger portfolio. If there is a work around for this I would greatly appreciate any advice also. Hope someone can grasp my meaning here, and offer some help. thankyou.

Best Regards - Toteman
toteman

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:02 am

Hi toteman,

You should be able to toggle the state of exchange rate adjustment (currency conversion) no matter what date range you have your report set for. What specifically goes wrong? You can toggle this option at "View / Exchange Rate Adjusted".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby toteman » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:45 pm

Hello Mark
Thanks for your reply. What the dilemma I have here, is a portfolio
where I have all my trading transactions from 2/January/2005 till 11/February/2009.
Within the one complete portfolio. I have the Default currency set at USD and the
conversion Currency set at AUD->USD , symbol - USDAUD=X This conversion toggle
between the default and the foreign currency works just fine, only when I have
selected a report to show all transactions from within the portfolio. The problem
starts when I try and limit the report to a Custom time frame for the Australian tax
year of 1/July/07 to 30/June/08 then no matter which report I load, the FM program
will not allow me to toggle and receive any currency conversions from USD to AUD. Do
not know why?? I was therefore hoping, that if I cannot get this feature to work effectively within the larger time framed portfolio, that perhaps I could do a work around by manually copying as one large copy and paste or transfer just the 1 tax years transactions 1/7/07 to 30/6/08 from out of the main large portfolio into a newly created portfolio for just that one years transactions, then I believe I would have the ability to show the complete portfolio of one years transactions, and have the currency conversion working as hoped for. Any advice, help would be greatly appreciated. Also Mark, have you available or have you ever considered a DVD or CD Rom video tutorial for operating your software, I know its very difficult to be everywhere and get everything done, but just thought something along those lines might be a good help for beginners and infrequent users if you could ever manage it. Thanks.

Cheers
toteman
toteman

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:01 pm

Hi toteman,

What specifically do you mean by:

will not allow me to toggle

You should be able to toggle "View / Exchange Rate Adjusted" at any time, no matter what the report date range is. Are you able to toggle this menu item okay? Is it just that the values are not displaying as you expect, or can you actually not toggle this menu item? When you want everything displayed in your default currency, you should have a check mark next to this menu command. When you want everything displayed in its native currency, you should not have a check mark. You should always be able to clear or set the check mark next to this command.

If the problem is that the data just isn't displaying as you expect (but you can actually toggle this menu item), please give me a specific example. What report, and what field are you looking at? What value are you expecting? What value is being displayed? What is the status of "View / Exchange Rate Adjusted"?

There is a tutorial on using multiple currencies. If you haven't already read it, please see:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/tutor_currency.html
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby toteman » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:29 pm

Hello Mark
Well in effect it does allow me to toggle, what i mean it does allow me to switch back and forth, ticking, selecting the View Exchange rate adjusted selection and unticking, selecting the View Exchange rate adjusted selection, only this selecting preference does not seem to work as it should whenever I load a custom report for a limited time frame less than the whole term of transactions from within the portfolio. Not sure why ??. I do know some of my transactions were actually still needing reconciliation adjustments to take them back to 0 shares held, am still working to get that set straight, but would hope that I could somehow, just grab all the transactions for a given time frame, in this case a 1 year tax time frame from 1/7/07 till 30/6/08 from either the portfolio editor or the report base window, and copy and paste them into a newly created portfolio. I know I could go through and individually select all these transactions from out of the larger portfolio, but was hoping there might be an easier way to copy and paste as one large file and save the time, other than that, I may have to perhaps see if I can download just that one year fixed time frame from my brokerage account . Sorry to bother you on this Mark, I know its likely something I have done wrong or am doing incorrectly, but thanks very much for your asistance in the matter. I will read through the forum and check your online instructions more carefully when time permits.

Cheers
Trevor - toteman
toteman

Postby toteman » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:45 pm

Hello Mark, will do a few more tests on selecting and unselecting the View for adjusted Exchange rate option and get back to you in a little while hopefully with a better picture of what is not happening as per expectation. mostly what i have noticed to date is that it seems to change from the default currency in USD $ to an Exchange rate adjustd currency for AUD $ only whenever I load a report for the full term of all transactions from 2005 till 2009. Reports I have tried are capital gains, as well as Investment transactions, in both different time frames as mentioned. Yet when I coose a lesser time frame from within the larger time frame, for say tax year 07 til 08 it doesn't change any currency values whenever I select or de select the Exchange rate adjustment option, it only just stays set on what looks like the default USD currency. I presume the Default currency is the currency whereby you mostly trade in, and the Native currency is that which is for seeing the default as per the exchange rate adjusted ?? is this correct. What I have is a USA brokerage account with trading transactions from January 2005 till February 2009, and all trades were done in USD naturally, and yet I am an Australian citizen resident, who needs for tax purposes to see these trades as done on an exchange rate adjusted basis, so as can accurately be assesed for Australian Tax purposes. So have set the FM up with USD as Default and the exchange adjustment for AUD->USD, symbol USDAUD=X. Please let me know what you think ?? Thankyou.

Cheers
Trevor
toteman

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:58 pm

Hi Trevor,

If your trades were done in USD, but you need to see them in ASX, you should assign ASX as your default. The investments you traded should be assigned USD, since that is what they traded in. If you set up your currency settings like this, when you have "Exchange Rate Adjusted" off, then your investments will be shown in USD, at the actual prices/values they were traded. When you have "Exchange Rate Adjusted" on they will be shown in ASX. When shown in ASX, they will be converted based on how you assign the exchange rate under "Options / Currency Settings...". If you use an exchange rate investment, then the price recorded on each date in that exchange rate investment determines the exchange rate used on that date.

I would suggest reading through that currency tutorial I mentioned. If you still have questions, please try to give a single specific example. What report, what field, what are the currency settings of the investment, what are your currency settings, what is the state of "Exchange Rate Adjusted", what value do you see, and what do you expect to see?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby toteman » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:20 pm

Thanks Mark, Will look into it all a little closer, try a bit harder, and hopefully will get on top of it all. I see a few things I need straightening out on. Thanks again for all your assistance. will get back if I get real stuck again. Take Care.

best regards
Trevor
toteman

Return to Reports