Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

report limited to one investment goal

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby rtwfroody » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:11 am

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I can't find it.

How do I limit a report to just those investments with a specific investment goal? E.g. I'd like to see an asset allocation report for only my investments targeting retirement.
rtwfroody

Postby Mark » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:56 pm

Hi rtwfroody,

There are a couple ways…. If you group your investments using sub-portfolios you can then report on only the desired sub-portfolio. Sub-portfolios can have as much hierarchy as you want. This is probably the best for what you’re trying to do.

You can also use categories, like investment goals. Many of the reports can be filtered by or you can sub-total or list by category. All of these are in the Report Settings dialog box.

See the tutorials page for tutorials on both sun-portfolios as well as how to use categories.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rtwfroody » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:53 pm

Thank you. Organizing into subportfolios worked. I didn't realize each investment can be moved to a different portfolio, even if they get updated together with other investments from the same financial institution.
rtwfroody

Postby rtwfroody » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:19 pm

This didn't quite work. When I fetched transactions just now from Vanguard, the one holding that I want organized separately got recreated in the original place.

To be clear, my investments are organized as follows:
Vanguard Brokerage:
Fund A
Fund B
Fund C

I want a report that shows asset allocation between funds A and B, but not fund C. So as you suggested I changed the organization to:
Emergency:
Fund A
Retirement:
Fund B
Fund C

Then I updated transactions, and Fund A got recreated under Retirement.
rtwfroody

Postby rtwfroody » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:01 pm

I watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcC16fFyEf8 and played with the categories some more. What I want is not quite available.

I want to see Asset Allocation for a given category, but the Asset Allocation report settings don't allow you to filter:

The Portfolio Value report does allow you to filter, and I can sort of get what I went using these settings:
That report contains all the data I need, but it's cluttered up by also showing each individual investment which I don't need to see in this case.

The stacked value graph by Investment Goal does show me how my Retirement portfolio does over time, but it's missing the convenient mouse-over number display that you get when you simply graph portfolio value.
rtwfroody

Postby Mark » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:54 am

Hi rtwfroody,

rtwfroody wrote:This didn't quite work. When I fetched transactions just now from Vanguard, the one holding that I want organized separately got recreated in the original place.

To be clear, my investments are organized as follows:
Vanguard Brokerage:
Fund A
Fund B
Fund C

I want a report that shows asset allocation between funds A and B, but not fund C. So as you suggested I changed the organization to:
Emergency:
Fund A
Retirement:
Fund B
Fund C

Then I updated transactions, and Fund A got recreated under Retirement.

So, just to be clear, the Fund A/B/C are investments, and not sub-portfolios, right? You want to have just 1 sub-portfolio designated for transaction retrieve per account. I'm guessing maybe you have both "Emergency" and "Retirement" set to retrieve the same account? Instead, do something like this:

Code: Select all
Vanguard Account (retrieve enabled at this account level)
  Emergency:
    Fund A
  Retirement:
    Fund B
    Fund C

where you are only enabling transaction retrieve at the top "Vanguard Account", and not any of the lower level sub-portfolios. Make sure those are disabled for retrieve and don't have an account number.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:59 am

rtwfroody wrote:That report contains all the data I need, but it's cluttered up by also showing each individual investment which I don't need to see in this case..

You can turn off the investments from being listed by choosing "<None (totals only)>" under the "List By" drop-down.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rtwfroody » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:05 pm

> You can turn off the investments from being listed by choosing "<None (totals only)>" under the "List By" drop-down.

Thanks. That is good enough for me for now. I might try to grok exactly how automatic updates are linked to investments at a later time.
rtwfroody

Return to Reports