Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Using Commission field to record account fee out of Cash

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby ThomasK » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:10 am

Hi Mark,

Currently, for brokerage and account fees, I am just recording a lump-sum adjusting entry at the end of the month.

But as a Canadian user sometimes the FX rounding is too great and I'm thinking of using the Commission field in B/S transactions window as an easy adjustment when getting the CAD/USD final price to match what my brokerage says.

I would be able to record transaction fees for each trade but most likely I'll leave the commission field empty for just regular trades and keep using the lump-sum method. Indeed, perhaps I could also conceptually include FX rounding errors as 'fees' and stick with the lump-sum adjustments to Cash but I like having the actual trade amount be the exact same between the FM report and the brokerage statement.

Either way, I want to use the "Commission" field in the Buy/Sell Transaction window to record all brokerage fees -- trade, account, rounding -- so that ALL brokerage fees/costs show up in my reports under ONLY ONE column, namely "Commissions (between)".

My experiment below seems to be working just fine, that all amounts entered in this field track easily. Below is an example to record a monthly account fee coming out of Cash. BUT it looks weird to me so I'm asking you if it looks fine to you before I bolt it down.

FM example of recording bank fees as commissions.jpg
FM example of recording bank fees as commissions.jpg (46 KiB) Viewed 1341 times

Thanks
Thomas
ThomasK

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:36 pm

Hi Thomas,

I don't see any problem with doing this.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports