Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Portfolio Performance Report - Reinvested dividends

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby johnkirin » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:19 pm

When I run the Portfolio performance report, only Transfers-In wind up factored into the cost of each investment; the reinvested dividends do not. The same ting happens in the Open Lots report (it shows lots for each Transfer-In, but not for the reinvested dividend purchases). I don't really want to use the Open Lots report for making investment-level decisions because it's too unwieldy for that, but I wanted to verify that what seems to be happening is that the dividend reinvestment is not being added to the cost basis.

Why is this and what can I do about it? Am I perhaps missing a toggle switch somewhere? These are, after all, cost bases that figure into the capital gains consequences of selling an investment, and after many years of reinvested dividends, the discrepancy gets very substantial.
johnkirin

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:50 pm

Hi johnkirin,

The Portfolio Performance report isn't showing cost basis. It shows the value you started with, what was added/removed, the ending value, and the gain/loss. Reinvested dividends within the report period would be reflected in the End Value and Gain columns.

Fund Manager has 2 types of cost basis: Tax and OOP. The difference between the two is distributions. The Tax cost basis is for taxes, and the OOP is your Out Of Pocket break even point.

If you're looking for tax or OOP basis for an open lot, use the Open Lots report. If you want the OOP and Tax basis of a whole investment (combining all open lots for a given investment), use the Custom Report. If you want to see the tax basis of sold lots, use the Capital Gains report.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby johnkirin » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:05 pm

OK, I'm going to play with the custom report fields. I imagine I will have follow-up questions.

Thanks,
John
johnkirin

Return to Reports