Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Portfolio Editor Templates

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby John Lea » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:34 pm

I have been having problems setting up and saving templates. At times I could customize and save a template but could not recall it even though it was in the template list. Yesterday I thought I got it to work but then today it went strange again.

FM and the data are in the cloud and I notice that when closing the program it indicates "not responding" for some seconds and then closes so I thought I wasn't giving things enough time to load a template or a change. (They did switch pretty fast when i thought things were working though.) Oddly enough, before I thought I had fixed things, the template that I could not call up would load on program restart.

Today I had a similar problem with added features and am attaching pictures of the PE and Properties box.

I am a completely baffled and if it is an upload/download problem I would be happy to bring it all down to my computer and back up like the old days if moving all down to the PC is straight forward and easy.
Attachments
PE template 2.JPG
PE template 2.JPG (176.77 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
John Lea

Postby John Lea » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:42 pm

Looks like only one picture went but it has the info. The other was the same without the properties box.

I just looked at FM with the same template but different investment and it too was weird but while I was looking at it the template changed and looked fine. I suspect it is a speed issue and I template that I called on earlier arrive while I was typing the first message.
John Lea

Postby John Lea » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:10 pm

On further review, I called up a new template and waited a few minutes and it did not arrive. I closed the program and reopened it. The template arrived when the program loaded. That would be awkward to do each time I switched templates
John Lea

Postby Mark » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:54 am

Hi John Lea,

It should not matter whether you're using portable/cloud mode or not. When you switch templates, what exactly happens? Do the column labels change, but the data isn't updated, or is showing N/A, or is from a different column?

Can you try this:

1) Make a backup, using "File / Backup...", and save it somewhere.
2) Delete all your templates using "View / List Columns... / Template... / Edit Template List... / Delete".
3) Re-create two of your templates.

If you now switch between these 2, does it work?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby John Lea » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:26 am

I will give that a try.

Sometimes when I switch templates nothing happens. Other times it will change a template once but not again. Almost always it will bring up the template when I restart the program.

I noticed on one or two occasions that the data appeared to belong to another template.
John Lea

Postby John Lea » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:50 am

I deleted all templates (about 6) and then added two new ones. No problems adding them but I could not switch back and forth between the two. In addition, I could not resize the column widths. They would drag ok but pop back to the original setting.

The program still takes a while to shut down (not responding) and when I restart loads the template I requested before shutting down but did not get.
John Lea

Postby John Lea » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:50 am

I deleted all templates (about 6) and then added two new ones. No problems adding them but I could not switch back and forth between the two. In addition, I could not resize the column widths. They would drag ok but pop back to the original setting.

The program still takes a while to shut down (not responding) and when I restart loads the template I requested before shutting down but did not get.
John Lea

Postby Mark » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:35 pm

Hi John,

1) What version of FM are you using?
2) If you repeat that exercise, and just add 1 simple column, does that work? I'm trying to understand if it is some specific column you're choosing that is causing the problem.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby John Lea » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:30 pm

I am using 2020.16.7.100 Quote 561 Trans 243

I will do what you suggest. I did notice that I can customize the view (and maybe save it) but I can't recall a saved template without restarting the program.
John Lea

Postby John Lea » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:42 pm

I may have misunderstood your request but I deleted the existing templates and saved a new one with the "Name" as the only column. I then created another template with 4 columns and saved it. I tried calling up the first one and failed.
John Lea

Postby Mark » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:43 pm

Hi John Lea,

Why don't you give me a call. I'm not sure what is wrong, but would like to see the problem myself. We can do a quick web meeting. My number is (480) 705-0129.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby John Lea » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:51 pm

I will try tomorrow but you may be overestimating my interweb abilities.
John Lea

Postby Mark » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:52 pm

No worries, I can walk you through joining a meeting.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby John Lea » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:16 am

I seem to be able to change the columns as needed and am not a big user of the templates in any event. I am ok and won't be taking up any more of your time. I appreciate the help.
John Lea

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:11 am

Okay, let me know if you change your mind and want to investigate further...
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports