Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

OpenLots/SpecLots report: Most values N.A. ???

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby rlaggren » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:29 pm

I have a problem with this report. Some real simple confusion, most likely, but I'm not seeing it after an hour of poking around.

Although as mentioned below, I think the Other setting where an investment can be set to FIFO, SpecLots, or Average may not be relevant to this problem, I first encounter the situation when experimenting with those different accounting settings. I have a portfolio with some stocks with reinvested divs; not all the divs are reinvested, but a couple are. The investment has SpecLots set in the Other tab of Investment properties. Looking at this stock in the Sell/SpecLots dlg I see the lots. But running the report OpenLots/SpecLots against the portfolio, I see only a few stocks with values and most stock with every value, except Price, showing N.A. The stocks showing values seem to do so regardless of their Other setting (FIFO, SpecLots, or Average).

1) If I run OpenLots report set to FIFO, I see the values for all stocks as expected, including the stock which I'm testing (which has Other set to SpecLots).

2) If I run OpenLots/SpecLots report, I see 6-8 stocks showing values as expected, and the rest show N.A. for all value except Price. I don't see what's different about the 6-8 stocks which _do_ display values. They are mostly FIFO, but if I pick one that shows values ok and change Other to SpecLot and rerun the report - that investment continues to show expected values in the report while most other stocks show N.A.

3) If, in my test stock, I change Other to FIFO and rerun the report, it still displays N.A. for all values except Price. So I think the Other setting probably does not relate to this problem.

What could it be with 6-8 stocks that causes them to display values in the OpenLots/SpecLots report while most of the stocks (sorry, should probably say rather "investments") in the report show N.A. for their values?

As an aside, how is this report sorted? The order seems undefined.

Thanks for any help.
Rufus
rlaggren

Postby Mark » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:49 am

Hi Rufus,

Anytime you see an N/A in a report, the best way to figure out why, is to use "Help / Logs / Report Calculation...". My guess here is that you have not "specified" your lots. If you're using the Specified Lot accounting method, anytime you sell shares, you must go and specify which lots you sold. In the case where you were still seeing numbers, it may be that in those investments you never sold any shares, so nothing needed to be specified. To specify lots, right mouse click on an investment, and choose "Investments Data / Specify Lots...".

The Open Lots is sorted by investment stack order by default. See the top level "Sort" menu from within this report window to choose any column to sort by.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rlaggren » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:07 pm

Hi Mark

>Sort menu
Oh... Was trying to click the column headers. Duh.

> specified your lots...
Yessss. That did the trick. Although,I don't see at all why "some are and some are not". Too many of each - don't see how I could have mucked about that much. Maybe had to do with how Fidelity transferred them in. Not clear.

FWIW. The OpenLots report lists all investments, regardless of how the accounting type is set. Maybe some indicator, an asterisk or something, might be useful in this report to point out holdings which are not set up presently for SpecLots accounting. Or is there an option I missed which allows/disables reporting non-Spec investments in OpenLots report?

IAC, thank you for your patient help.
Rufus
rlaggren

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:38 am

Hi Rufus,

You can't filter this report by accounting method. When you create this report there is a choice on which accounting method to use, but that is not a filter, it is just choosing which method to use for all displayed investments. There is a "Filter..." button that allows you to filter on various properties, but accounting method isn't one of them...
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports