Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Investment Performance.

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby rudolfr » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:31 pm

Hi Mark,
I am trying to create a report on Investment Performance, but I am getting wrong results. Some investments in my portfolio were made in 2019 and some in 2020. I have several securities in this portfolio, each bought in a different date (for example, Deutsche Bank stocks bought in July 2019; Pfizer stocks bought in June 2020 and so on). However, when I create a report on Investment Performance, the Fund Manager Software does not account for the different buy dates of each security. Instead, the software only considers a fixed date chosen by me from the list of Data Settings (either Custom, Today, Yesterday, 12 months, earliest price to date, earliest transaction to date and so on). Even if I chose the option "earliest transaction to date" as the start date, the Fund Software Manager will produce a report for all securities in the portfolio with the same date in which the first security in the portfolio was bought. As an example, let's say that the Deutsche Bank was the first security in this portfolio. In this case, Fund Manager Software will produce a report considering that both Deutsche Bank and Pfizer stocks were bought on July 2019, when in fact Pfizer stock was bought noly in June 2020. This will clearly result in a wrong performance report, because Fund Manager Software will consider the inital price of Pfizer stock from July 2019, when I didn't have the stock yet. The correct way to calculate the Investment performance would need to take in account the fact that I bought Deutsche Bank in July 2019 and Pfizer in June 2020. Can you help me with this?
Best,
rudolfr

Postby Mark » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:40 am

Hi rudolfr,

The "Investment Performance" report is for looking at the intrinsic performance of each item, ignoring when/how you personally purchased it. Instead, you can look at the "Portfolio Performance" report, which calculates ROI yield in one of the columns, showing your earned time and money weighted performance. You could also look at an ROI Yield report to get performance over a multitude of date ranges.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports