Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

ROI Calucations shown for sub-portfolio, but not individual

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby surendar jeyadev » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:34 pm

I have a sub-portfolio with just three mutual funds. There are hardly any buys or sells (just two over the period). I have transaction data fron 12/20/2016 for two of them an from 8/18/17 for the third. So, all three have three full years of data for doing the ROI calculation for each fund. When I do the calculation, I see that the 6 month ROI values are given for all three funds, but the 1, 3 years values are set to N.A.

Further, looking at the bottom of the report, I see values for 3 and 6 months, as well as values for 1 and 3 years in the footer. They seem reasonable (though I have not tested it using other tools).

My question is why are the ROIs given for all relevant periods for the entire sub-portfolio, but not for the individual investments?

I have one further question. Is is possible at all to calculate the ROI for arbitrary periods? The ending date can be easily set, but what about the starting date? This would be a useful feature as one can get the ROI for, say, each calendar year which can be compared with an index.

I notice similar things in another sub-portfolio where there is trading of individual stocks. The ROI report shows N.A. for *all* stocks for 3 m, 1y, 5y. There are some values for 3y and 10 y. I have had some stocks for nearly 30 years now, and, curiously, while they show a 10y value, the 5y value is N.A. Why is this?

Could it be related to the fact that there is no pricing for the "initial date" of the period and so the starting alues is not known?

thanks
sj

thanks
sj
surendar jeyadev

Postby Mark » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:46 am

Hi SJ,

Yes, it is often an issue of missing prices when an investment ROI isn't displayed. The way to know for sure is to select "Help / Logs / Report Calculation..." and any N/A value in the report will be explained in there.

You can get the ROI for any arbitrary date range you want. You can see the Yield column in a Portfolio Performance report, or use the ROI (between) field in a Custom report.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports