Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Portfolio Value - Sorting

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby keviguy » Tue May 05, 2020 9:51 am

Hi Mark

I am running a Portfolio Value Report that is subtotaled by symbol and sorted by value. It seems that the report is sorting on individual values, not the subtotaled value. For example, per the attachment, TD is sorting between V and KXS when I would expect it to sort between MSFT and AAPL. Is there a way to work around this?. Thanks.
Attachments
PortfolioSort.JPG
PortfolioSort.JPG (151.14 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
keviguy

Postby Mark » Tue May 05, 2020 10:25 am

Hi keviguy,

The "Sort" menu is sorting whatever is being "listed", which in this case are investments. You are listing by investment, and sub-totaling by symbol. So, your investments within each symbol sub-total are being sorted by value. The symbols themselves are ordered based on the investment stack order. FM walks through the investment stack order, and finds each unique symbol, and then creates a sub-total section for that symbol, in the order it finds them in the investment stack order. You can manipulate the investment stack order using the "Investments" top level menu. I don't think there is a real easy way to order all your symbols by value. You can sort investments by value, but that would have the effect of putting the symbol order in the order where each symbol contains an investment of the next greatest value, and not necessarily the total symbol value. If instead, you turn off sub-totals and list by "Symbol", you can then sort by symbol value.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports