Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Aggregate Sub-Portfolio Reporting

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby AssetHound » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:18 am

I have each broker I use setup as a separate sub-portfolio. I need to be able to get total broker reports when needed and that is relatively straight-forward to do.

In each sub-portfolio (broker), I also do trading. Is there some way to code trading transactions so that I could pull out a summary trading report -- which would include trading transactions across multiple sub-portfolios (brokers)?

If I wasn't concerned with monitoring trading positions, I could just enter the net of the trade as a "distributed dividend" and create some sort of unique label for that transactions. I guess I could also create a unique symbol (e.g., XTRDE assuming it wasn't already used) and just report on a symbol. I think I'm leaning toward the latter solution as it would be important to get trading positions and total buy/sell amounts in the report.

Any other thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.
AssetHound

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:31 am

Hi AssetHound,

You can use an "Investment Transaction" report, and a filter. You can run that report at any level of sub-portfolio hierarchy, so you can run it at a level that includes all your accounts. You can filter by a variety of items, including memo contents. See the "Filter..." button in the Report Settings dialog when creating an Investment Transaction report.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby AssetHound » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:43 pm

That report will work. However, the trades have to be associated with a specific symbol already in the portfolio and entered as a transaction for that symbol. I tend to trade many different securities and just put one overall gain/loss as a daily transaction in my cash account. I do give them a unique distribution label but only use the cash account.

So, I could still create my unique trading symbol (same symbol in all portfolios) and enter a trade transaction under that symbol. The balance would then get transferred over to the cash account in that sub-portfolio, and reporting should be straight-forward.

I haven't tried this yet, but if you see any issues, please let me know. Thanks.
AssetHound

Return to Reports