Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Capital Gains for Single Security

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby hipped1 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:44 pm

What is the most efficient way to generate a report of capital gains for a single security. I don't see a way to filter the capital gains report to specify a date range for a single security. Thank you
hipped1

Postby Mark » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:59 am

Hi hipped1,

The Capital Gains report doesn't have the option to only run for a single investment, you have to run it at some sub-portfolio level. If you really wanted just one investment, you could make a new/empty sub-portfolio and copy the one desired investment into this new sub-portfolio. Run the report on this new sub-portfolio that contains just your one investment. An easy way to copy an investment is with copy/paste, or drag/drop from within the Portfolio Editor, and hold down Ctrl to do a copy, instead of a move.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby hipped1 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:43 pm

The reason for my question is that I'm asked by my tax accountant each year for any gains/losses from publicly traded partnerships since those gains/losses are not reporting on the 1099 from the brokerage. Historically I have had to dump all of the capital gains to Excel/CSV, delete all the extra lines that don't apply, and then provide the file to my accountants.

I'll add a feature request - creating a sub portfolio just to run capital gains for a security seems like a lot of extra effort and I can't say that my current method is very time efficient either.

Thanks
Mark
hipped1

Postby Mark » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:57 am

Hi hipped1,

Understood, we can consider adding an option for this in a future update.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby MichelV » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:58 am

+1 for adding the Filter... option to the Capital gains report. I'm even wondering why it is not already as I think all other reports has it.

And quite frankly, the Sub-portfolio cut and paste solution is at best a poor band-aid avenue.
MichelV

Return to Reports