Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Exec Summary contrib/withdraw

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby elliots » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:12 am

Hi Mark,

I understand that all transfer in/out transactions are considered "external" and I'd like you to consider changing that. Take the case of assets transferred from one custodian to another, with both being sub-portfolios of the same client. In the past, when whole accounts like this were changed I just changed the name of the sub-portfolio with an explanation in the properties to explain it. But sometimes when just a few investments move, it appears that Transfer in/out is the best transaction. Unfortunately these are considered external cash flows even though they are really internal to the larger client portfolio within FM (whereas if the investments were transferred directly to the client or any other entity outside FM they are clearly external). The problem shows up in the Exec Summary report because these Transfer transactions get confounded with Contributions and Withdrawals and make the report confusing without more detailed analysis. I can't think of a situation where I would want to call these kinds of transfers external cash flow. It seems you could extend the date/amount matching to identify offsetting transfers that remain inside FM as internal, or allow specification on the transaction entry screen as internal or external.

Your thoughts?

Elliot
elliots

Postby Mark » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:28 am

Hi Elliot,

Thanks for the feedback. I can understand it being desirable to be considered internal in this case. Making it optional would be good, and we can consider that for a future update.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby elliots » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:28 am

Mark,

I know it's ancient history, but let me bring it up again. A minor annoyance but seems easily fixable.

Elliot
elliots

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:59 am

Hi Elliot,

Okay, thanks for the reminder.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports