Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

return with dividends reinvested

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby sspeed » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:56 am

Is there a way to show total return with dividends invested?

It seems like I can only show Gain % with dividend reinvestment included in my cost basis. I see that line of thinking, dividends are income and I use that cash to buy more stock.

On the flip side, if I invest $10,000 in two stocks and do no further investments in each, one with dividends and one without, I'd love to see the total return over time. The dividends would be included in that return and not the cost basis.

Is there any way to view the data from this perspective?
sspeed

Postby sspeed » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:16 am

I believe this information is here if I compare OOP Gain to Unrealized Gain correct?

Unrealized gain would be gain/loss with dividend included in cost basis, and OOP would be with dividends not included in cost basis?

Same with AVG and OOP Basis/share?
sspeed

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:51 am

Hi sspeed,

There are 2 types of cost basis you can get:

Out Of Pocket (OOP)

Tax Basis (FIFO, AVG, or Specific Lot)

Based off these you can get a gain. If you want the dividends to be factored into the reported gain (making the gain higher), use the OOP based figures. In most of the standard reports, the OOP figures are shown, like in the Portfolio Performance report.

I suspect the reason you were seeing your reinvested dividends included in your "basis" was because of the date range you were calculating the %Gain. Any reinvested dividends will increase your gain, but only if they were received after the starting date of the calculation. Any reinvestments prior to the calculation start are included in the starting value. Take a look at the Portfolio Performance Report documentation for how Gain and %Gain are calculated.

For example, if you invest $1,000 and later receive a $100 dividend your Gain would be $100 if your report start date was before the dividend was received. If your report start date is after the dividend date, then this dividend is included in the starting value, and wouldn't be factored into any displayed gain. It doesn't matter whether the dividend is reinvested or distributed for these gain calculations.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports