Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Portfolio Performance report "Invested" total incorrect

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby jstolzen » Sat May 04, 2019 5:07 am

Hi, Mark. Having an issue with the Portfolio Performance report, where the "Invested" total for an account looks to be incorrect. This is for a cash (CD) account, and we did a Transfer from a Money Market account (with all shares having a $1/sh basis) into the CD.

I exported all the FM transactions from the CD account into an Excel workbook, and every transaction aside from one is coded as a "TxIn". The one exception is a "RnvDiv" for last month's cash dividend from the CD. If I total all the TxIn rows, they equal the amount transferred from the MM account and invested into the CD - yet, the Portfolio Performance report is showing a total for "Invested" that is $4,180 less it should be. That in turn is throwing off the %Gain # considerably..

Any ideas? I've seen this issue with what appear to be incorrect totals (and hence, gain percentages different than expected) with other accounts on the Portfolio Performance report that have TxIn transactions as well.

Thx..
jstolzen

Postby Mark » Sat May 04, 2019 8:12 am

Hi jstolzen,

This report is using "Out Of Pocket" (OOP) cost values. Do you have those values entered for your TxIn transactions?

Also, you can have FM use either the OOP values or the market values of transfer transactions when calculating OOP. See "Options / General Preferences... / Other / Transfer Transactions OOP Calculations Use:".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby jstolzen » Sat May 04, 2019 8:19 am

Hey, Mark..thanks for the quick reply. How do I check the OOP costs for those TxIn transactions? I assume they were all $1.00 as the funds came from a Money Market account and they were never anything other than $1.00/share..the MM did include Dividends, though..would that have potentially thrown things off on the transferred-to (CD) account?
jstolzen

Postby jstolzen » Sat May 04, 2019 8:21 am

OK - this is weird..I switched the preference setting you mentioned, and get the correct "invested" amount now. But I can't figure out why it would be any different, as the market value of those shares should be the exact same as the OOP cost ($1.00/share each, in both the original [MM] and transferred-to [CD] accounts).
jstolzen

Postby Mark » Sat May 04, 2019 10:01 am

Hi jstolzen,

Open up this investment in the Data Register, and select one of these transactions, and "Edit..." it. You will see there where you can enter a OOP and Market Value for your transferred in shares.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby jstolzen » Mon May 06, 2019 4:59 am

Hi, Mark. Looks like the OOP values are indeed different for many of the transfer transactions. In fact, some of the transactions (for records that appear to be dividends paid and reinvested in the source / "from" account) have a $0 OOP cost instead of the amount of the dividend paid and reinvested.

I'm not following the logic on that - wouldn't the OOP cost include the dividends paid and reinvested? As an example - if I have a MM account with $10,000 in it - and $100 of dividends that were paid and reinvested back into the MM account..and transfer $10,100, I'd think that the cost of the shares in the account being transferred into (CD in this case) would be $10,100. Is that right?

Ditto on many of the other shares..the "from" (MM) account always had a per share cost of $1.00 - so how is it that the OOP cost of the "to" (CD) shares is not the same as the market value (also $1.00)? Shouldn't they both be $1.00, since the share price has never varied from $1.00?

I added the "OOP Historical Basis" column to the Portfolio Editor display, and if the preference setting for transfer transactions OOP calculations is "market value", it shows the correct amount (number of shares at $1.00/share transferred from the MM to the CD). If I change it to "Original OOP" then the value shown is lower than I'd expect (by a considerable amount), not the number of shares at $1.00 transferred.

If it helps, instead of one single transfer transaction for the amount moved, I have probably two dozen plus transactions of varying amounts. I assume that's because FM is moving each individual lot of shares, but is there a way (maybe using average cost or something instead of FIFO) to have a single transaction record for a transfer?

Thanks for your help..
jstolzen

Postby Mark » Mon May 06, 2019 9:02 am

Hi jstolzen,

A transfer in transactions is not the same as a reinvestment. How did you record all these transfer in transactions? Did you use the Transfer Between wizard? Retrieve them from your broker? Manually enter them?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby jstolzen » Mon May 06, 2019 9:50 am

Hi, Mark. Here's the scenario..we had an existing Money Market account and went to transfer a portion of it into a new CD..

- Originally entered (manually) all buy and dividend (reinvested) transactions in the Money Market account over the course of a year or so.
- Created a new (CD) account.
- Did a "Transfer Between" from within the Data Register (More/Investment Data/Transfer Between) of the MM account, with the CD account as the destination. (Maybe a Sell on the MM and a buy on the CD would have been a better way to do that? Note that I did the Transfer because I wanted to see where the funds were coming from when I look at the destination account..)

Since the MM account always had a price / NAV of $1.00 per share, my expectation was that the basis of the CD would have been the number of shares transferred. But that doesn't appear to be the case on the OOP cost for some reason..
jstolzen

Postby Mark » Mon May 06, 2019 8:31 pm

Hi jstolzen,

The transfer between wizard will transfer over the cost basis. However, for something like this it is much simpler to simply record a sell of MM and a purchase of CD. You could put a comment in the memo if you want to remember where the money came from.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports