Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

show fund-fund xfrs separately from $ out in perf report

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby tomseeley » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:29 am

I want to record rebalancing sell/buy transactions, which are really just fund-fund transfers, separately from actual withdrawals when I take an RMD out of the portfolio entirely and move it to my bank. Right now, I'm calling everything individual sells and buys, and my portfolio perf report shows contributions, withdrawals, and with-distribtions, but it does not distinguish fund-fund xfrs from actual withdrawals of $ from a fund.

How can I do that? I thought I understood using transfer in/transfer out, but when I did one test, swapping that for the sell/buy I had entered first, the portfolio perf report didn't make sense to me.

I know that either way affects how the pgm tracks tax basis and gains, and I'm not using the program for that purpose so that effect isn't important to me. I just want the perf report for a time period to show me the actual amounts I've pulled out and moved to my bank, separately in some way from rebalancing fund-fund transactions.
tomseeley

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:43 am

Hi tomseeley,

You should leave them as buys/sells, and not transfers.

You can't easily filter out only portfolio internal transaction totals. Each line in the Portfolio Performance report does show contributions/withdrawals (C/W) relative to that line item. The line for the whole sub-portfolio is showing C/W that are external to the sub-portfolio. The line amounts for C/W are both the internal an external C/W amounts relative to the sub-portfolio.

There is a feature in the Investment Transaction report that allows you to easily see the transactions/totals for portfolio external C/W. See the filter:

Include Only Portfolio External Transactions (Contributions/Withdrawals)

It seems to be more common to want to know this, but we could also consider adding an option to only show portfolio internal transactions.

One option you have currently is you could use the transaction memo field to help you filter out these rebalance trades. If you put some special value (e.g. rebalance) in the memo, you could then use the Investment Transaction report with the filter:

Include Only Transactions with Memo Contents

to see only these rebalance trades, and their totals.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby tomseeley » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:22 am

Got it. Thanks.
tomseeley

Return to Reports