Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Tracking RRSP contributions

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby timbro » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:17 am

I am wondering if anyone uses fund manager to track RRSP contributions?

The main purpose I am trying this out so during the year I can just run a quick memorized report to see where I'm at for the year and not over-contribute.

I tried generating a report on my RRSP account using Investment transactions. I used the following settings Investments - Cash. On the filter I unchecked everything except for Purchases/Transfer In. Date March 2 2018 - March 1 2019

My issue is the report shows all cash purchases including when I sold shares from a mutual fund to purchase an ETF. If I subtract those transactions I get the correct amount. Is there something else I can do to only show external cash contributions?
timbro

Postby Mark » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:43 am

Hi timbro,

Yes. You can get this a few ways:

1) Use an "Investment Transaction" report, and under "Filter..." in the Report Settings choose the option to "Only Show Portfolio External Contributions/Withdrawals".

2) Use a "Custom" report and look at the "Contributions" field for your whole account sub-portfolio (not the investment level contributions).

3) Use a Portfolio Performance report, and look at the Contributions column.

All of these methods rely on having matching transactions for all non-external transactions. For example, if you buy an ETF on date X for Y, you should have a sell of cash on date X for Y also. Running the Investment Transaction report with the option mentioned above will quickly show any "external" or un-matched transactions. For more, see the documentation on external cash flow.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby timbro » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:18 pm

Thanks Mark works great!
timbro

Return to Reports