Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Investment Goal Report

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby LungDoc » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:31 am

I would like to monitor an investment strategy within an existing portfolio with several ETFs/Stocks. Some of the securities are already present in the existing portfolio, but I would like to monitor a subset of these AND some new securities. When I try to do this with a new "investment goal" all of the previous purchases are already included in the investment goal, even though the "new lot" was added as a different existing goal w/o the "apply to all box" was not checked. How would you suggest to get around this issues. Thanks
LungDoc

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:00 am

Hi LungDoc,

Categories (asset type, investment goal, sector) are applied to investments, not particular transactions within an investment. If you have some new purchases in an investment that you previously owned, you could record them in a new investment for this same security. That will allow you to assign only this new investment to the category you want. Please see our Categories Tutorial.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby LungDoc » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:28 pm

I tried that and the selection of a new investment goal changed the the investment goal of all prior purchases of the security, not just the new purchase. I've crudely solved the problem by manually entering the new purchases in a separate portfolio. One cannot copy and paste an investment transaction and paste it into the new portfolio without copying the entire prior purchases (and/or sales)
LungDoc

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:58 pm

Hi LungDoc,

Yes, I tried to mention that a category assignment applies to a whole investment. An investment is the security, which contains all the transactions in that investment.

You can copy just transactions that you want. You can also copy a whole investment, but that will include all the transactions in that investment. To copy/paste transactions across investments, use the Data Register. Select the transactions you want, and then copy. Switch to the desired investment, and paste.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby LungDoc » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:28 am

Thank you for your continuing help. It is very unusual to have this kind of support with any software!
LungDoc

Return to Reports