Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Open Lots Report and ETF Splits

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby ACuriousInvestor » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:01 pm

I have an ETF that did a stock split earlier this year. The split was downloaded from my brokerage account, and I'm showing the correct number of shares and price per share. The ETF is up 13% for the year.

The issue is in my reporting. For example, the Performance column of my Open Lots report looks like this:

Original purchase - 50 Shares - Performance Negative -24.04%
Original purchase - 149 Shares - Performance Negative -23.84%
Stock Split Additional Shares - 199 Shares - Performance N.A.

As you can see, the original purchases show huge losses because they retain the original cost basis and the post-split price of the ETF is much lower. Similarly, the stock split shares show N.A. because they have no cost basis.

Can you tell me how I can get a more correct performance percentage? Thanks in advance!
ACuriousInvestor

Postby Mark » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:44 pm

Hi ACuriousInvestor,

It sounds like the split was not recorded in the ideal manner from your broker. It was probably brought in as a transfer in of the new shares. Instead, you just want to record a split transaction, with the correct ratio. Just delete the transfer in, and record a new split transaction instead. It sounds like the ratio should be 2 for 1.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ACuriousInvestor » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:59 am

As usual, Mark, you are correct. :-)

The original was recorded as a transfer in with a memo stating "stock split." I deleted it, rerecorded the split, and the report is working perfectly.

Thanks!
ACuriousInvestor

Return to Reports