Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Excluding Tax-Deferred Accounts from Cap Gains Report

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby stevetone » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:50 am

I have a hierarchy of portfolios under a master portfolio. Within the hierarchy are a mixture of taxable and tax-deferred accounts. When I create the Capital Gains Report, all capital gains for the portfolios in the heirarchy are included.

Is there a way to exclude the tax-deferred accounts from the Capital Gains Report?

(As I finished writing this I suppose that I could create 2 sub-hierarchys in the master portfolio, one for taxable and one for tax-deferred portfolios. Since I already have a 3-level hierarchy as it is, this would seem to be getting a little complicated).

I guess what I am envisioning is (an enhancement to add) a checkbox on the Portfolio Properties window that would indicate if the account is tax-deferred. Then a checkbox on the Capital Gains Report settings window that would be checked to exclude tax-deferred accounts.

Any thoughts?
stevetone

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:58 am

Hi stevetone,

You can accomplish this now, without reorganizing your sub-portfolios. Every investment has a "tax-free" property. See "Investment Properties... / Other / Tax-Free". You can turn this on for your tax-deferred investments. When creating a capital gains report there is an option to exclude tax-free investments. See "Options / Report Preferences / Capital Gains / Exclude Tax Free Investments". (You'll also notice there are options to exclude default and/or any cash account.)
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby stevetone » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:17 am

Thanks Mark for your quick reply!

Although marking the investments themselves as tax-free does not make intuitive sense to me, I went ahead and did it, per your suggestion, and it does work.

With numerous tax-deferred investments throughout numerous portfolios, it was a little tedious! Seems like it should be specified at the Portfolio level, but I admit that I may not be structuring my accounts in the same manner as others.

Steve
stevetone

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:42 am

Hi Steve,

It does make sense to be able to specify this at the sub-portfolio level in many cases, but I believe doing it at the investment level gives the most flexibility.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby stevetone » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:43 am

Not to drag this particular topic on...

It would be nice to exclude tax-deferred investments from the Open Lots Report as well. I use the Open Lots Report to search for opportunities to harvest tax losses, and having the tax-deferred investments in the mix just adds clutter.

Steve
stevetone

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:50 am

Hi Steve,

Good idea, thank you. I'll see about getting this option added.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby elliots » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:33 pm

I have to vote with stevetone, and hope you'll consider making some changes.

While I grant that control at the investment level is more flexible, it seems to me the price in inconvenience is very great, particularly for an advisor. I now have to go back and, account by account, recode each investment including sold ones. Going forward I can code each asset as it's acquired, so that's a bit less of a burden (as long as I remember todo it).

Actually, there should be tax coding at both the investment level and the portfolio level to handle the tax situation which is more complicated than a single field at the investment level can handle. You have 2 broad tax issues; income and capital gains. Within income, you really have fully tax-free (e.g., same state muni bonds), fed tax-free but state taxable (e.g., out of state munis), and state tax-free but federal taxable (e.g., T-Bill). That's what should be coded at the investment level. And note that even fully tax-free bonds can generate capital gains. [To make it worse, there's really another category at the investment level:Tax deferred (e.g., accrued annuity interest or VA appreciation) which is not the same as tax-free -- but that's a complication I'm more willing to live with -- that would be asking for a lot.]

As an advisor (and I think most investors), I need to be able to generate these reports:

Taxable capital gains (excluding retirement accounts).
Tax Related Information (defined as: taxable dividends, taxable interest, CG distributions, Return of Capital, Foreign Tax)

I can do these now, but I'd really like the interest to be broken into sub-categories as described above, and a field to allow me to exclude at the sub-portfolio level.

While I know database fields are precious, it seems that a field at the portfolio level and a check box on the report set-up or the ability filter at the report level would be a great help. I would also help to expand the single field at the investment to cover all 4 tax possibilities.

Elliot
elliots

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:33 pm

Hi Elliot,

Thanks for the feedback. I can appreciate the need for a "Tax-Free" property to assign to a sub-portfolio. Currently, the Capital Gains and Distribution Summary reports both have the option to exclude investments marked as tax-free. If we added a tax-free sub-portfolio property and used this same existing report option to apply to sub-portfolios marked as tax-free, would that satisfy your needs (or most of them)?

From within any report, see "Options / Report Preferences... / Distribution Summary / Exclude Tax Free Investments" and also "Options / Report Preferences... / Capital Gains / Exclude Tax Free Investments". We would rename this option to say "Exclude Tax Free Investments/Sub-Portfolios", and have a new sub-portfolio property called "Tax Free". If an investment was either marked at the investment level, or underneath a sub-portfolio marked as tax free, then it would be excluded based on these options.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby elliots » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:33 pm

Yes Mark, that would be a great help.

Elliot
elliots

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:07 pm

Okay, we'll see about getting this added.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby elliots » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:24 am

Mark,

One more thing. Could the Capital Gains Report have the option of subtotalling by sub-portfolio? That way a whole client could be in a single report.

Elliot

PS Not to be pushy, but any estimate of when the tax-free portfolio option might be in? If it's soon enough then I won't have to go back and recode investments.
elliots

Postby Mark » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:56 am

Hi Elliot,

Sub-totaling the cap gains report will be a larger change, that wouldn't be available in the near term. One work-around would be to create your sub-portfolio hierarchy like this:

Code: Select all
Master
   - Client ABC
       - Acct 1
       - Acct 2

and then create the Capital Gains report at the "Client ABC" level. It will include everything beneath it, but won't be sub-totaled by account. I suspect you already realized this was an option, but just wanted to mention it.

I was hoping we could get the tax-free portfolio property option added into a 10.4 release, but we haven't dug into the details yet to see. Hopefully I'll know more in the next couple of days, and I'll post an update here.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:08 pm

Hi Elliot,

I haven't forgotten about this... With the holiday season, we haven't looked into it yet. Hopefully early this next week I will have a better answer.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Hi Elliot,

Unfortunately, this edit has turned out to be more significant than I had hoped. It is going to require some time to implement. Our report builder is not currently geared to support building reports where certain sub-portfolios are ignored. It is pretty easy for the Capital Gains report, as you can't sub-total there, but the Distribution Summary report is more difficult. This is still something we plan to implement, but I can't commit to exactly when it will be ready.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports