Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Combining Investments for Capital Gains

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby safexharbour » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:27 am

I have two different investments set up for the same stock but each investment is denominated in a different currency. Is there a way to combine these investments when calculating capital gains?
safexharbour

Postby Mark » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:42 am

Hi safexharbour,

Are you asking about the Capital Gains report? That report lists by lot, so even if they were combined into a common investment you will still get a separate line item for each sell transaction.

Maybe you are looking to find the total realized or unrealized gains for these investments? If so, you can use a Custom report, and any of the "Tax" fields, such as "Tax basis realized gain, Assigned Method (between)". If you generate the report with the "List By" set to "Symbol" and you have "View / Exchange Rate Adjusted" turned on, you will get a consolidated value on each report line for all investments with a common symbol.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby safexharbour » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:04 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the quick response but I don't think that's what I'm looking for. I am asking about the capital gains report but what is happening is I am buying a stock in one currency and then selling the stock in another currency. As I have two different investments for the same stock in different currencies, the stock won't appear in the capital gains report as Fund Manager thinks I have two separate positions open (one long and one short) and haven't closed out either investment to realize a gain. Is there a way around this or do I need to do it manually?

Also my country of residence requires me to use the average cost base method for tax so I can't use the specificed lot option and ideally I would like to blend two different investments (in different currencies) into the same average cost base for tax purposes. Please let me know if this is possible.
safexharbour

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:10 am

Hi safexharbour,

Unfortunately this isn't possible. The Capital Gains report reports gains/losses within each investment. You can't have the sell transaction in one investment, and the buy transaction in a different investment. You would somehow have to put all the related transactions into a single investment.

You also can't get an average cost across multiple investments, this also only works within a single investment.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports