Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Only the amount invested in the stock

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby ThomasK » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:08 pm

Hi Mark,

I hope you are well.

I have a position that I've held a while that has a large amount of distributed dividends that brings the book value down significantly. I want to see the amount I've invested in the stock since inception as cash out of pocket but without dividends. Would an issue be that I'm trying to see that value in a Year-To-Date report?

1. I've come up with "Avgpurchase_priceC_end*End_shares" that seems to work. Do you have a better Equation for a User-Defined Custom Report Field that reports the total Dollars used to Purchase the stock from Inception (considering buys/sells) but NOT distributed dividends?

2. What happens if I've bought and sold this stock and have a running profit or loss...my guess is that P/L amount will get rolled up, yes?

Thanks,
Thomas
ThomasK

Postby Mark » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:37 am

Hi Thomas,

1) There are 2 types of cost basis you can get, OOP or Tax. The OOP basis includes all the paid dividends, in that when a stock pays a dividend to you, your OOP basis is lowered. The Tax basis however is not lowered when you receive a dividend, so it does not include dividends. So, to get what you're looking for, just choose one of the "Tax basis" fields in a custom report, and you'll get your basis for the shares owned on the ending report date.

2) It depends on the field you're looking at. There are some OOP based gain numbers that are "historical", and some that are "current". The historical ones look back to inception, and roll up your total gain/loss, see "Gain (inception)" or "Gain (current)". If you're looking at Tax basis, there are separate "realized" and "unrealized" gain/loss fields. The realized gains are all the gains/losses from sold shares, and you can get this figure for either between the report starting/ending dates (between) or since inception. The unrealized gains are calculated for the shares still currently owned, and ignores any prior sold shares.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ThomasK » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:35 pm

Great, thanks.

Last question: If I'm buying and selling a specific stock, what equation would I use if I wanted a historical "all in" number...i.e. all historical REALIZED gains/losses, dividends from the first day I started trading the stock? An all in number to see how I'm gaining/losing with that specific stock even if I'm not holding any open lots OR even if the report dates don't include old transactions?

Thanks,
Thomas
ThomasK

Postby Mark » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:43 pm

Hi Thomas,

You could look at the "Gain (inception)" field. It sounds like that is what you're looking for. You can see the definitions of all the custom fields here.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports