Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Columns misaligned

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby Robert A » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:36 am

Hi Mark,

I using the latest personal version, wondering if I have a file in the wrong location or something like that.

My reports always start out displaying correctly, but if I change a date or do any sorting, the columns often do not resize or worse, the columns get misaligned.
Robert A

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:50 am

Hi Robert A,

Do you have the same report type opened in more than one report window? See the "Windows" menu.

Report column widths are memorized globally on a per-report type basis. What can happen is if you have the same report type open in another window and you have on the option to auto-size columns, one report window can set the column widths for all report windows of the same type.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Robert A » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:01 pm

Can auto-size be set globally?

One of the things that happens is, for example, if I generate a portfolio performance report, it's fine. If I click on an individual investment within that report, then close the individual investment's report, the original portfolio performance report's columns are resized so as not to display all the digits.
Robert A

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:08 pm

The auto-size option is global, and applies to all reports. The best solution here would be for us to remember column widths on a per-report basis, but unfortunately they are currently remembered on per report _type_ basis (Portfolio Performance, Custom, etc). In the case you mentioned, you could either turn off auto-size (Options / Report Preferences... / General / Auto-Size Columns When Report Data Changes), or after you closed the one report, you can force an auto-size again for the currently displayed report by using "Window / Auto-Size Columns", or press Shift + F8.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Robert A » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:14 pm

Shift+F8 works.

Seems like I went for many, many years without this problem but it may have started when I changed computers. Any chance there is a corrupt file?
Robert A

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:24 pm

I don't think so. It sounds like it is working as expected. You may just never have run into it before. There are a few specific things that have to happen for you to notice it, like your 2nd report of the same type would have to have noticeably different column widths before you may notice it when switching back to your 1st report.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Robert A » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:55 pm

OK, well, it's kind of inconvenient. Can this be fixed in the future, so that any reports automatically resize their columns properly?
Robert A

Postby Mark » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:44 pm

Hi Robert A,

Yes, we can try to improve this. The other option is to just turn off the option to automatically size columns to their content.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports