Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Sub-Total by Asset Type & Consolidate Duplicate Investments

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby dcayne » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:27 am

Hi Mark,

Is there any way to consolidate reporting of the same investment held in multiple sub-portfolios when sub-totalling by anything other than sub-portfolio?

In several types of reports (e.g., Portfolio Value, Portfolio Performance, Investment Performance, and many of my Custom reports), I like to view my investments grouped & sub-totalled by my Categories (in Asset Type, Investment Goal or Sector), instead of by the accounts/sub-portfolios holding the investments. But when I hold the same investments in several different accounts—as I frequently do—FM lists the same security multiple times in all these groupings.

List By: Symbol seems to be the only way to consolidate reporting of the same investment held in multiple sub-portfolios. But that option is only available when not doing any sub-totalling (or when sub-totalling by sub-portfolio, where it's not really different than List By: Investment).

I think I already know the answer: no, it's not possible. If so, how hard would it be (i.e., how likely are you) to add that capability in an upcoming release?

It would be especially helpful when looking at any kind of allocation and rebalancing, to see the weighting and relative performance of the different investments within Asset Types, Sectors, etc. Judging by the number of questions I see in the forums about variations on this issue, I think it would be a very popular enhancement to FM.

Thanks,
Doug
dcayne

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:14 am

Hi Doug,

You're right, you can only list by symbol when sub-totals are off or sub-totals are on by sub-portfolio. I agree it would be nice to add additional options when sub-totals are on by other categories, but I can't give you a likelihood of it being added. We will consider it.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports