Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Performance vs Value

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby Robert A » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:00 pm

Hi Mark,

I'm using FM 2014. My latest three investments show up in the performance reports and their value is totaled along with all my other investments at the bottom of my report.

Strangely, those three latest investments are listed, but have no value in the Portfolio Value report. The total in the Performance report and the total in the Value report are therefore different. I also get the message in the attached jpeg. I've gotten this message for quite a while, but it's just been a minor nuisance. How do I rectify these problems?

Thank you
Attachments
FM.jpg
FM.jpg (10.19 KiB) Viewed 1989 times
Robert A

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:26 pm

Hi Robert A,

Do your Portfolio Performance and Portfolio Value reports have the same ending date? I'm guessing they are different, and the Portfolio Value report is dated before your transactions in these 3 new investments?

Are you getting that error message when you exit? It looks like your autoback directory is set incorrectly. Fund Manager runs with non-admin permissions, so you can't write into the C:\Program Files (x86) folder because of permissions. Change this to something else, like your "My Documents \ Fund Manager \ autoback" folder. See this under "Options / General Preferences... / Data".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Robert A » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:07 pm

I think you are right about the report dates - I usually don't do anything that dumb.

Yes, I was getting the error message upon closing FM. I have moved the *.fmb file to the suggested location. Everything seems to be working ok. It does seem odd that the fmb file does not appear to have been modified since I opened FM, updated the prices, and then closed FM.
Attachments
Screenshot - 9_11_2017 , 2_00_13 PM.jpg
Screenshot - 9_11_2017 , 2_00_13 PM.jpg (49.09 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
Robert A

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:21 pm

Hi Robert A,

It doesn't matter that you moved the existing *.FMB file. FM doesn't modify that file. It creates a new backup when it exits if the frequency you set is up. You set the frequency, number of backups, and the location under "Options / General Preferences... / Data". If you set it to backup each time you exit and then start/exit FM you should see a new *.FMB file in the folder you've selected for backups.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Robert A » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:24 pm

OK, thank you, understood. It was set for 3 days.
Robert A

Return to Reports