Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Smoothing Over Account Transfer

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby SteveP » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:02 pm

I was forced to transfer some securities from one account to another. This has to be reflected in FM of course so the price/transaction retrieval works properly but the transfer has no tax or investment significance. Therefore I'm interested in the transfer having as little impact on the performance/capital gains reporting as possible. I used the original OOP and date purchased number on the Transfer In side and have the "Transfer Transactions OOP Calculations Use" setting to "Original OOP". Further the two accounts in question are sub portfolios in a single main portfolio (All Assets). I would like to be able to look at Investment Performance of a transferred security in the main portfolio and have the performance/capital gains calculated as if no transfer occurred. What seems to happen is that the Investment Performance report on the All Assets portfolio picks up only the account transferred into seems to show up despite the date range encompassing the entire investment period. What the best way of accomplishing what I'm trying to do?
Portfolio Transferred Out of
Transfer From portfolio.PNG
Transfer From portfolio.PNG (12.36 KiB) Viewed 4274 times

Portfolio Transferred Into
Transfer To portfolio.PNG
Transfer To portfolio.PNG (11.88 KiB) Viewed 4274 times

All Assets Portfolio
All Assets portfolio.PNG
All Assets portfolio.PNG (6.78 KiB) Viewed 4274 times
SteveP

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:53 pm

Hi SteveP,

Your "All Assets" report is starting in 2012, but the "401K" report is starting in 2003. Is that the confusion?

You can either record the "Transfer In" and "Transfer Out" transactions yourself, or you can use the "Transfer Between" wizard, which will do this for you. This wizard will also record multiple transfer in transactions if there were multiple lots.

Another option for you is to simple move the investments from the old to the new sub-portfolio, and not record any transactions. You could put a note in them if you wanted. This moves the whole investment, and all the history.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby SteveP » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:57 am

Hi Mark,
The investment I was using as an example was acquired in 2015 so I don't think the differing start dates would make any difference but I like the idea of just moving the investment. I investigated how to do this and its pretty straight forward, just open and close the investment in the relevant portfolios. As I understand it the old account will then retain all investments which ended prior to the transfer and the new account will contain all current investments just as if they were originally made in that account even though it didn't exist back then (I can make a note as you say). Is there any other issue I should be aware of? In particular I'm wondering about price and transaction retrieval from my brokerage (Chas. Schwab). Is there any reason transactions in the new account wouldn't match the securities that were moved from the old account? Thanks - Steve
SteveP

Postby Mark » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:07 am

Hi Steve,

You can close/open, but it is easier to simply drag/drop them using the Portfolio Editor. You can move them. To do this, select the old sub-portfolio on the left, so you see the investments you want to move on the right. Select them on the right, and drag/drop them onto the new desired sub-portfolio on the left. For more on using the Portfolio Editor, see this tutorial.

You should be fine on the price/transaction retrieval, especially if they are still in accounts with the same broker. For transaction retrieval, the CUSIP is what is used to match incoming transactions to an investment, and that shouldn't change. If for some reason you do notice that incoming transactions are trying to create a new investment, instead of updating an existing investment, double check the CUSIP. Price retrieve uses the symbol, and that shouldn't change.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby SteveP » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:49 am

Another quick question. For cash or money market since there is no change in basis, is there any difference between a transfer and a redemption/purchase. This is the one asset I can't just copy because the cash/money market options are different in the 2 accounts. Thanks - Steve
SteveP

Postby Mark » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:51 am

Hi Steve,

For cash, there is really no difference.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby SteveP » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:13 am

Sorry one more question. Hopefully this post will be a guide for anyone doing an account transfer. There are investments where the same stock was two different accounts which now need to be consolidated into one account. If I simply copy the investment I gather I will have two investments listed for the same stock. This would have an advantage in that the basis for the 2 investments will be traded accurately and all the individual transactions such as dividend payments that were tied to the separate positions will be preserved and can be verified and audited against the brokerage statements if need be. The problem is now there are two positions going forward with the same symbol, same CUSIP, where there is really just one. Reports will show the same stock twice and I'm not sure how automatic transaction downloads would handle two identical CUSIPs. I'm thinking that these positions really MUST be handled with a transfer out of the old account and a transfer in transaction in that consolidates the two positions into one in the new account. Correct?
SteveP

Postby Mark » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:37 pm

Hi Steve,

You can merge two investments into one. We have a tutorial on this here:

https://youtu.be/alv3-dbw_GU
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby SteveP » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:49 pm

Thanks. I think coming out of two difference accounts (counter to the video) I prefer keeping the prior transactions separate and doing transfers from each old account into the new one. One puzzling thing I've noticed using the wizard to do this is that it creates the Transfer In transactions just fine and does a great job of doing multiple transfers to account for differing basis but then it adds an additional Purchase in the transfer in account that equals the sum of all the shares being transferred. The result is twice the number of shares in the new account as were transferred out of the old account. Am I doing something wrong?
SteveP

Postby SteveP » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:58 pm

I think I just answered my own question. When it creates a new investment in the transfer in account it pops up a window that allows you to fill in details of the investments (it would be great if it could just copy these). That dialog box also has a place to enter share and price information which I did wondering why I had to enter it twice. I now see that is for a separate purchase and the shares in that box should just be left blank.
SteveP

Postby Mark » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:43 pm

Hi SteveP,

You're right. That "New Investment" dialog that comes up should be left at 0 shares in this case, as the wizard will add all the shares. That is confusing... Also, if you're transferring into an existing investment you shouldn't see the New Investment dialog.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports