Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Duplicate Allocations

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby ricbertsch » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:58 am

We want to set up our clients portfolio allocations by Asset Class. I understand that to set up the allocations I utilize the Rebalance Report. We have both Custom Allocations and 6 Model Allocations (by Asset Type). Do I have to enter an allocation for each portfolio or is there a way to copy a model allocation and apply it to each client. I am not referring to Model Portfolios that we are actually using and tracking a security but a Model Allocation that may be set up as 10% Cash, 40% US Stocks, 30% Domestic Bonds, 15% International Stocks and 5% Emerging Markets. Also, is there a way to change a couple of the Rebalance Report Column Headings: Investment Symbol to Asset Type and Delta to Out of Balance?

Thanks!
Richard G. Bertsch CFP(tm)
ricbertsch

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:19 am

Hi ricbertsch,

Are you asking about the "Allocation Target" when you create a Rebalance report? You can define any number of these allocation targets to use when running a report. You can re-use the same allocation target for all your clients. When you run a Rebalance report you choose which of your defined allocation targets you want to use for that report.

One type of allocation target is a "Model Portfolio" target, where the allocations are based off another sub-portfolio you choose. This allocation target type is a bit unique in that the model portfolio can dynamically change depending on which sub-portfolio you're reporting on. The allocation target has a default sub-portfolio selected, but you can override it on a per-subportfolio basis by choosing the "Model Portfolio" in the properties of each sub-portfolio. In these cases the rebalance report will have line items based on symbol, and not asset type. So, I don't think you're looking for this option.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ricbertsch » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:05 am

Mark, I set up 5 Different Allocations using Asset Type under the Master then did a few Rebalance Reports for Clients Sub-portfolio and then looked good. However, when I went back again to double check the setting they did not save the Allocation Target and instead Defaulted to the First Allocation I had established under the Master. What did I do wrong here? My objective is to create a Report to be run Quarterly with other reports showing the client's portfolio allocations.

Thanks
Richard G. Bertsch CFP(tm)
ricbertsch

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:29 am

Hi ricbertsch,

Did you set these up under "Report Settings... / Allocation Target / <Edit Allocation Targets...>"? Maybe you are saying you set up some sub-portfolios under Master, and you're calling these sub-portfolios allocations? The allocation targets are not assigned or under any specific sub-portfolio. They are global, and can be used in any Rebalance report. When you create the report, you choose which allocation target to use. You do this in the Report Settings dialog when selecting a Rebalance type report.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports