Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

incorrect GAIN in performance report

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby chancee » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:02 pm

I'm having a confusing issue with the performance report. I have a couple of options that just expired which gave me a loss, but they're showing as a gain in the performance report. I'll attach a snapshot of what I'm talking about, but I can't figure out what's wrong.

In the attached snapshot I'm talking about the top 4 investments... FXI, USO, USO, SDRL. Those were all complete losses. I bought those options over a year ago for the full amount that is now showing as a gain. It seems like that figure should be either under the Beg. Value or Contributions tab. Instead the contributions are all zero and tiny amounts for the Beg. Value... ($16 for FXI Jan 20 2017 57 Call)

Several lines below that I also this happening with the SPY Sep 15 2017 175 Put. Any Idea why these are incorrect? Thanks
Attachments
FM issue.JPG
FM issue.JPG (74.65 KiB) Viewed 2670 times
chancee

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:58 am

Hi chancee,

Look at what transactions you have recorded. Also, notice the Portfolio Performance report can be for any date range, so it is important to consider where that report is starting/ending. This determines what is in the contributions/withdrawals columns, versus the beginning/ending columns.

From that report I can see you took out a bunch of money (2704.22) during the period, started with a small amount (16), and ended up with no value. Given just this information, that is why you have a large gain reported. The question is what transactions do you have recorded. If the option expired worthless, you shouldn't have a large withdrawal. The beginning value on the report's starting date is only 16, so why is that? Investigate this in the Data Register. The Beg Value is the market value at the beginning of the report's date range. This is the number of shares owned times the closing price. Why do you have a large withdrawal during the period? This looks like a sell or transfer out transaction for that large amount.

If you need more help, show the date range of this report, and all the recorded transactions for a given investment in question.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby chancee » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:55 pm

Thanks for responding... The thing is, I actually didn't take out any money. How could I? It was an option. I agree, with the option expiring worthless, I shouldn't have a gain whatsoever. I bought these options over a year ago... and the report only covered this year. From Jan 1 until now. These options did not lose this much value in a month and a half, nor was the value withdrawn somehow...

One other question... not really related to this, but when I run my usual transaction download, for some reason my fidelity Roth account isn't updating with new investments, etc. Even when I turn the date back to cover the period during which I did in fact buy and sell some mutual funds (a month ago)... I'm getting no results. As if there was no activity in the account during the designated period. Any idea what's going on there? Thanks.
chancee

Postby Mark » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:47 pm

Hi chancee,

I understand that in reality you didn't take money out, but somehow you have a transaction recorded that is taking money out. Look at your transactions recorded within the date range of the report. Use the Data Register.

If you retrieve transactions and there is nothing new for the period, then you won't see anything. By default, FM won't import transactions again if they're already in Fund Manager. You can look and see what transactions you have recorded, and then retrieve for a date range where you are missing some transactions. With Fidelity I believe they will only provide 90 days worth of transactions in a single request, so try narrowing the date range to a period less than 90 days where you have un-retrieved transactions.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby chancee » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:21 pm

Okay I'll try and figure out what 's going on with the options. But I'm really stumped with the Fidelity situation. First, the investments aren't already in the portfolio, so it's not a matter of skipping over them since they're already in there. Second, when I go to Fidelity and look at the activity there I see that I bought the mutual funds on January 20. When I run the transaction download for and put the dates from January 15 to February 4... I get nothing. It's picking up nothing. I can put the dates in any combination and it won't pick up the investments. I can actually go to the CASH account for the portfolio and see a withdrawal on the 30th for some cash I withdrew and I can see a deposit of cash on the 25th of January. So it seems to be communicating with Fidelity on some level... but just refuses to pick up the mutual funds I bought on the 20th.
chancee

Postby chancee » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:34 pm

Okay so I found something called an automatic reconcile from broker... I ran that and it picked up the missing investments. I guess I can just click on Edit and add them? Not sure why it wasn't picking them up in the normal download...
chancee

Postby Mark » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:26 pm

I'm not sure why the transaction retrieve isn't getting these. You can take a look in the log file and see if there is any sign of the missing transactions. If you want, you can email me the log files, and I can look for you. If you do this, please include the specifics of 1 transaction you're expecting to see. The log files in question would be "ofxretr.txt" and "xmldump.txt", and they'd be located in:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Fund Manager
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports