Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Printing reports blank

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby flight » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:55 am

Does anyone have tips for when printing reports? Mine are blank for some reason.

I do have a workaround for this, I print to PDF and then print out the PDF. But trying to avoid this extra step....

thanks
flight

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:00 pm

Hi flight,

Does the print preview show as blank?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby flight » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:05 pm

no
flight

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:08 pm

Hi flight,

So the print preview shows okay, but the physical printout comes out blank? Do you have this issue on more than one printer?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby flight » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:57 pm

I have never had any printing issues, and can print fine from microsoft office, pdfs, webpages, etc
flight

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:00 pm

Hi flight,

If the print preview works okay, but the printout is blank I'm guessing Fund Manager is doing something your printer driver doesn't like. That is why I'm asking if you have this same issue printing from Fund Manager on any other printer? If you can print to a PDF printer, it sounds like the issue is specific to Fund Manager and that one printer driver?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:30 pm

Hi Mark,

Reviving an old thread, I am having this issue as well. It seems like it is a new issue in that I do not recall having it before. It is occurring on a mixture of the Portfolio Value and Portfolio Performance reports, as well as a custom report. I am printing a mixture of letter and legal both portrait and landscape. The print preview always works but the page will intermittently print blank. At first I thought it was because I was using a custom report and it extended too far outside the margins but that does not appear to be it. The blank page printing seems to occur on the reports with the "scale to 1 page" box checked however it does not always affect it. The printing problem appears limited to FM. The aggravating part is the inconsistency. Sometimes I change the page orientation from the print screen and click "ok" other times I click "print." I am not sure if this is a contributing variable. I have been unable to replicate a consistent pattern. I will try to find another printer but am not sure I can track one down that will use a different driver. I am currently using a LaserJet 4050N.

Thanks,

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:15 pm

Hi Jason,

If the Print Preview is displaying properly, the problem is with the printer/driver. About all I can suggest in this case is to try and get an updated driver, or try a different printer.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:08 pm

Thanks Mark. It is updated and running the updated version of the generic HP PCL 5 driver.

To the community at large, has anyone else had this issue? How did you resolve it? I am running Windows 7 Professional. (Not able to stomach Win10 yet)

Thanks,

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby B2B_Investing » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:08 am

Hi Mark,

I took some time to research this a bit more. I unchecked the "scale down to 1 page when necessary" checkbox under page setup. The reports that were printing blank had content outside the margins. I do have some reports that are scaling down automatically and printing without issue. The best I can gather is that some reports, when shrinking by a certain percentage to size to the page, do not render correctly with some printers/drivers. My resolution to this was I adjusted the columns to make the report fit on one page. I hope this helps others as this was frustrating to troubleshoot.

The one question I had at the end of this, are the page setup settings universal across all reports? can they be saved to a specific report when the report is memorized? (i.e. I can memorize some reports to always be legal and landscape)

Thanks again for a great product Mark!

Jason

(A derivative of the above, sometimes the reports would only print partial pages (i.e. the top third of the page. At first I thought the page setup had been switched to landscape accidentally but that was not the case)
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:22 am

Hi Jason,

Glad you made progress. Another technique you can use is to use a software printer, like a PDF printer. A good free one is PrimoPDF. If it works in there, but not your printer, you know it is your printer/driver.

Sorry, yes the Report Page Setup options are global.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby matteopeo » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:30 am

Hi Mark,

I was trying to print a report and got the blank page printing issue. This was happening both on the printer and if printing to a PDF. I searched the forum and found this one thread from 2017. I unchecked the "scale down" box as recommended by B2B_Investing and solved the problem. However, that meant changing the report settings, to reduce the number of columns and fit in one page.

B2B_Investing wrote:I took some time to research this a bit more. I unchecked the "scale down to 1 page when necessary" checkbox under page setup. The reports that were printing blank had content outside the margins. I do have some reports that are scaling down automatically and printing without issue. The best I can gather is that some reports, when shrinking by a certain percentage to size to the page, do not render correctly with some printers/drivers.

Is this something you can work on from your end or is it a printer issue?

Thanks
matteopeo

Postby Mark » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:41 pm

Hi matteopeo,

What printer resolution are you using? If you lower the printer resolution to 300 DPI does that help? You can usually do this in both regular printers, as well as PDF soft printers. For example, if you're using PrimoPDF, use "File / Print Report..." and next to the selected PrimoPDF printer, choose "Properties... / Paper/Quality / Advanced... / Print Quality" and set it to 300 DPI.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby matteopeo » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:04 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I did not find a specific quality setting, other than "standard" and "high". However, I played around a little and figured out that it most likely comes down to the number of columns included in the report (and consequently, how much it needs to be scaled down to fit the page).

Up to 21 columns, the report got scaled down and printed correctly, in a readable (small) font. When I added another period, with an extra 5 columns, the page printed blank.

I hope this helps others who might come across the issue. I guess it makes sense that at some point the scaling down does not work anymore.

Cheers
matteopeo

Return to Reports