Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Realized & Unrealized Capital Gains Report

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby bsdfish » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:11 am

I'm trying out Fund Manager to replace some Excel spreadsheets I've been using. One important feature for me is properly managing taxation of capital gains, since I carefully buy / sell lots in order to manage my exposure. So, I'd like to see:

1a) Short Term Realized Gain/Loss
1b) Long Term Realized Gain/Loss

For these, I believe that Reports->Capital Gains partially produces the report. However, I'd like to properly account for Section 1256 contracts which are Mark-To-Market (IE, they become 'realized' from a tax perspective even before they are sold) and treated as 60% LT / 40% ST gains irrespective of the time held. How is this possible?

For the unrealized gains, I'd like to see a report which breaks my positions down as
2a) Unrealized LT Gains (sum)
2b) Unrealized LT Losses(sum)
2c) Unrealized ST Gains (sum)
2d) Unrealized ST Losses(sum)
like shown on the image attached (from Merrill Lynch's website, for example). The Reports->Open Lots display some of the info but it doesn't appear to break things down by categories above which are pretty critical for managing tax exposure. Is it possible to generate a report along the lines of what I'm looking for?
Attachments
Gains.png
Gains.png (5.41 KiB) Viewed 1614 times
bsdfish

Postby Mark » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:55 am

Hi bsdfish,

Thanks for trying Fund Manager.

On question #1, unfortunately there is no feature that counts gains as realized before the shares are sold. To at least help you do the calculation manually you could assign these 1256 contracts to a specific investment type or category, and run a report where you filter by this type/category so you can easily find the information on only these contracts.

On the unrealized gains, there isn't a report that gives you all these sums in this way. You can get the total unrealized gains using a Custom report with the field "Tax basis unrealized gain, Assigned Method". If you wanted to calculate the gain/loss and short/long term components separately you could use an Open Lots report and then sum in Excel. Create an Open Lots report with the "Tax Gain" and "Days Owned" fields and save to CSV using "File / Export to CSV...".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports