Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

How to Set Period in Report Date Settings

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby ThomasK » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:26 am

Hi Mark,

I use a multi-monitor system and have a few reports and graphs open.

One report is for "Today's Holdings" and another "This Week's Performance". Thus, when I created the reports, for the Period, I pulled down "Today" and "Week To Date" respectively.

However, when I relaunch Fund Manager, they seem to revert to "Custom" and my "Today's Holdings" is then showing a date range. How do I make it so that the reports remember their "Today" and "Week to Date" Period settings?

I'm going to guess I should re-memorize them? What checks should I have...float end date and/or starting date relative to end?

Thanks,
Thomas
ThomasK

Postby Mark » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:56 pm

Hi Thomas,

When you open Fund Manager (and thus your portfolio file) all the reports are re-created using the float settings at:

Options / Report Preferences... / Other / Portfolios:

Those single set of float options apply to all reports re-created when you open the portfolio file. In your set of examples, you want different float options for each report, so you can use memorized reports, but you will need to re-create these after opening the portfolio file to use the independent float options.

In these examples you want:
Code: Select all
 "Today's Holdings"
   Float Start Date Relative to End: ON  (start date moves to end date)
   Float End Date: ON

Code: Select all
"This Week's Performance"
   Float Start Date Relative to End: OFF  (fixed to beginning of week)
   Float End Date: ON
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ThomasK » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:09 am

Thanks Mark,

So, I have to reset at least one of them every time I open the portfolio file as they are different (ON/ON vs OFF/ON).

But why does the Period setting switch from "Today" to "Custom"? This happens on all reports.
ThomasK

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:25 am

Hi Thomas,

The Date Settings "Period" label is set based on your selected dates. Only if they match one of the presets will it default to that. The "Today" period means the current calendar date for both start and end dates. When you open Fund Manager and your portfolio file, the floated to end date is controlled by:

Options / Report Preferences... / Other / Memorized Report End Date Floats To:

So, if you set that to "Current Date", your "Today's Holdings" report would then initialize to "Today" for the date settings period.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ThomasK » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:26 am

Hi Mark,

Along with the reports memorized to the settings in your previous post, this is what I have:
Report Preferences - Other.PNG
Report Preferences - Other.PNG (26.37 KiB) Viewed 2717 times

When I launch FundManager the reports only adjust the End Date to the current date...the Start Date does not change. So what was a "Today" yesterday is now "Custom" with yesterday's date as the start date. I cannot seem to get it to open with advancing the Start Date by 1 day.

(That said, the way it is working is fine for my "Month to Date" report, just because the Start Date remains the same and the End Date is indeed advanced.)

And I've tried adjusting the Settings and then Memorizing the new report with the check marks as above and replacing what I have with that but still the same behaviour.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Thomas
ThomasK

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:15 am

Hi Thomas,

I think the confusion may be in that there are really 2 types of memorized reports. There are memorized reports you create with "Edit / Memorize..." and then there are those that are memorized as part of your portfolio file (*.mm4). When you start Fund Manager it opens your portfolio file, and the reports memorized with that portfolio file. There are only 1 set of options on floating the start/end date for portfolio memorized reports. The settings you show in that screenshot will cause the end date to float to the current date, but the start date will stay fixed. This works for your Month to Date report, but not for your "Today" report. Unfortunately, with portfolio memorized reports, you have to pick one or the other. If you turned on the "Start Date Relative to End", then your "Today" report would work the way you want, but the "Month to Date" would not. There currently is no solution to have both of these report types work the way you want with portfolio memorized reports. You'd have to pick one or the other. You could however use regular memorized reports, but these won't get auto-created when you open your portfolio. You would have to go pick it from the "Reports" menu after opening Fund Manager and your portfolio.

So, you might leave your "Month to Date" report open, and saved as part of your portfolio file, but close your "Today" report and save your portfolio file that way. The next time you open the portfolio file, only the 'Month to Date" will be restored as part of your portfolio file. You can then go create your "Today" report by selecting it from the "Reports" menu, and make sure you memorize that report with the "Start Date Relative to End" option on.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ThomasK » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:32 pm

Thanks Mark,

Okay, that all makes sense. Perhaps allowing both in a future release.

For now I've found success in keeping the reports open and in a specific layout over my 3 monitors and for 1/2 of them I adjust the Start Date of the report via Edit / Report Settings.

As I use this a lot I have "Settings" as a shortcut on my toolbar (as checked in Report Preferences / Toolbar).
ThomasK

Return to Reports