Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Rebalance by Investment Goal

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby B2B_Investing » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:35 am

Hi Mark,

Is there a way to run a rebalance report by investment goal? The way the report is now, it appears I have to rebalance by portfolio. I have my portfolio setup by account as suggested but I have multiple goals within each account (i.e. short term and retirement goals within the same brokerage account) or I have the same goal across multiple accounts across multiple firms (i.e. retirement across multiple 401ks, IRAs, etc) The latter is more important. I want to manage the asset allocation across them since some offer better options than others.

Is there another way to accomplish what I am trying to do?

Thanks as always for an excellent product.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:58 am

Hi Jason,

Yes, you can do this. In the Report Settings dialog, when you're creating the Rebalance report, notice the "Allocation Target" drop-down. Choose <Edit Allocation Targets>... and you can define as many different allocation targets as you want, and by different criteria. Create one for Investment Goal, and choose the percentages you want. Then, create your report using this allocation target. Once in the Rebalance report, each line item will be an Investment Goal. You can click on a line in the report, to zoom to a Portfolio Value report that filters by that goal, and lists all the investments in that goal.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:55 am

Thanks Mark,

I figured out what I wanted to do. Under the rebalance report, after I set the allocation target, I needed to filter by Investment Goal. I have what I need now. Thanks!

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby B2B_Investing » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:18 am

Hi Mark,

I ran the report with the asset allocations I wanted and filtering by the investment goal of "Retirement" however the report is pulling in investments with other investment goals. (I already verified this by drilling into the asset type to see the underlying investments, double double clicking on the investment to open it, clicking the "more" button, selecting investment properties and verifying on the investment goal tab that indeed the full allocation is to another goal)

I also went back and confirmed the report filter is by investment goal,"include only selected item", and the correct goal is selected. Can you ping me over email and I am happy to walk through this with you.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:52 am

Hi Jason,

Instead of filtering, I think you just want to define an allocation target by investment goal, and leave off filtering. How is your allocation target defined now?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:06 pm

Hi Mark,

My goal is to run a report showing the summed value and percentage by asset type for all investments within the master portfolio with an investment goal of "retirement" as compared to the target allocation by asset type.

My method
1. I open the report menu and select "Rebalance"
2. On the report settings menu I leave type as "Rebalance", Sub-portfolio as "master portfolio", and then I open the allocation target dropdown and select "edit allocation target"
3. In the Allocation Target List window I select "new"
4. In the Allocation Target Properties windows I leave type as "Asset Type" and allocate the percentage points as appropriate across the asset types
5. I enter a name and click ok (window closes)
6. I click ok (allocation target list window closes)
7. I select the allocation target I just created in the report settings window and click ok; I leave the filter blank. (This is unintuitive since it seems it will return all investments in the portfolio--not the intended result)
8. I click done and the report runs.

I get the desired report format but all investments in the portfolio are in the report regardless of investment goal. If I try to filter the report by my investment goal I get different totals.

edit: After changing the investment goal several times and watching the totals change but the investments stay the same I stepped away for a few moments. Coming back I realized that my validation method was to intuitively click on the asset type to see what investments were making up the report. (Since the report calculates the over/under allocation amount this seemed intuitive to drill down and determine what to sell to rebalance.) The drilldown which pulls up the investments does not apply the filter from the report. Is this something that can be changed Mark?

Thanks,
Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:37 am

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the detailed explanation, I understand better now. When you have the allocation target by asset type, and also filter by investment goal, if you click on a line in that report you'll get a Portfolio Value report that only filters by asset type. I can see how that would be confusing. You can't filter by 2 things, so you couldn't for example filter by both asset type and investment goal in the Portfolio Value report. Maybe a better choice in this case is to create a report that sub-totals by asset type, and filters by investment goal. We can try to improve this for cases like this. You can also edit the report settings of the created Portfolio Value report.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:51 am

Hi Mark,

That makes more sense. I did not realize it was spawning a different report. It is still confusing though. I already have a report subtotaling by asset type and filtering on the investment goal and can use that in combination in the mean time.

Thanks,

Jason
B2B_Investing

Return to Reports