Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Transfer Between Investments

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby fiscalis » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:55 pm

I'm attempting to transfer shares from my cash investment to my money market fund and getting the message "you cannot transfer more shares than you own".

The total shares out and total shares in match the number of shares available.

Any ideas? I'm using version 9.

Sorry I posted this in the wrong folder.

THANKS,
Bill
fiscalis

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:11 am

Hi Bill,

I'm wondering if there is a rounding problem. How many shares does it say you own? If you change the "shares out" to be lower by 0.001 shares, does it work okay then? If you want to do this test, but not record your changes, make sure to save before recording this, and then exit without saving after recording the test transfer. Turn off "Options / Save Investments On Exit". If you'd like, you can email me this 'source' investment, along with the date and amount of shares you are trying to transfer, and I can take a look.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby fiscalis » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:17 pm

Ok. This is what I did:

I want to transfer 230291.98 shares of cash into my money market account. This will totally liquidate the cash. I've run out the digits to 6 and there is no more detail revealed than to the .oo (2 digit) level. I can transfer everything up to 230291.97 shares, but when I go the whole way ($230291.98), I get the error message again. The error message reappears after I first transfer (between) the 230291.97 and then try to get the last penny out by trying to transfer the remaining .01. With this info, are you still thinking this is a rounding error?

If you need to see the data, what do you need the investment.dat file?

Thanks,
Bill
fiscalis

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:08 am

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the information. I was able to reproduce this, and it has been fixed for the next release. Somehow your share balance includes some small fraction past the 6th significant digit. You can either edit all your prior transactions to eliminate this, or wait for the 9.2 release, which will allow you to transfer your full share balance in this case.

Here are some tips on recording transactions without rounding errors:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/help ... rrors.html
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports