Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

real estate investments, how to ?

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby oliv928 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:51 am

hello,
i would like to know if the house purshase, and management : ie : taxes, charges, re investment as re building , is processed within Fund Manager.
Otherwise should we create something like a stock investment, where the value of the share is linked to real estate market, ...
I know that the soft GnuCash has a special account type for that.
thanx
oliv928

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:36 am

Hello oliv928,

There are no special features for real estate investments, but you can track them. I'd suggest creating an investment of type "Other". Keep the share price fixed at $1, like a cash account. The number of shares would equal the value. If you want to record an increase/decrease in value of the asset, record a reinvested dividend. The dividend would be positive for an increase, or negative for a decrease. The price would always stay at $1.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby oliv928 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:25 pm

thank you. nice idea.
what about :
1/ investments ( solid re buildings)
2/ charges ( maintenance)
3/ several taxes
?
thanx
oliv928

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:53 pm

Hi oliv928,

If you have expenses associated with some investment like real-estate, you can record these as negative distributed distributions. This will take the money out of your default cash account. The number of shares and value associated with your real-estate investment will not change. The negative distributions will factor into the performance of this investment though.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby oliv928 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 am

why do u suggest to make an investment with value of 1$ ?
is it bad to make the value of the "share" vary, based on the real estate market, and keep the num of "shares" at 1 ?
oliv928

Postby Mark » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:49 am

Hi oliv928,

You could do it this way too. I find it easier to keep the share price fixed at $1, and vary the number of shares. For example, if you decide to add $1000 more to your investment it is easier to record a purchase of 1000 shares at $1/share instead of figuring out the fractional shares you would have to buy when you're adjusting the price to compensate for changes in value.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports