Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Portfolio Value List by Symbol vs Investment

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby stevetone » Fri May 23, 2008 7:15 am

When producing a Portfolio Value report for an upper-level portfolio using "List By: Symbol", the values of securities with the same symbol are combined across the sub-portfolios. However, this does not appear to be the case when using "List By: Investment".

I am pretty sure that I have the securities named exactly the same--is there a way to get them to combine their values when using "List By: Investment"?

Steve
stevetone

Postby Mark » Fri May 23, 2008 8:37 am

Hi Steve,

Sorry, no. When listing by "Investment", each unique investment is listed as a line item. What you're describing would be a list by "Name", where you combine every investment with the same name onto a line. Is there something about the list by "Symbol" that isn't meeting your needs here?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby stevetone » Fri May 23, 2008 9:11 am

Mark wrote:Hi Steve,

Sorry, no. When listing by "Investment", each unique investment is listed as a line item. What you're describing would be a list by "Name", where you combine every investment with the same name onto a line. Is there something about the list by "Symbol" that isn't meeting your needs here?

Mark:

My clients typically know their investments by name and not symbol. Most do not even know what the symbols are or what they are used for, so it's all "greek" to them. I'd prefer they see the investment names and not symbols. The multiple lines for the same investment will be confusing for some, but it's something we can manage.

Perhaps this could become an enhancement request?

BTW, this may be of more concern for our particular manner of managing client investments. We prefer to report across all accounts (or sub-portfolios in FM speak) rather than account-by-account, as in our view it makes little difference how an individual account is performing--it's the client's entire investment portfolio that we are managing to.

Thanks for the reply!

Steve
stevetone

Postby Mark » Fri May 23, 2008 9:23 am

Hi Steve,

Understood, thanks for the feedback. I think all you would need is an option to specify the 'name' instead of the 'symbol' in the first column when listing by symbol.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby stevetone » Tue May 27, 2008 6:23 am

Mark wrote:Hi Steve,

Understood, thanks for the feedback. I think all you would need is an option to specify the 'name' instead of the 'symbol' in the first column when listing by symbol.

That would do the job nicely :D

Steve
stevetone

Return to Reports