Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Reports from two sub-portfolios

Questions on using, creating, or understanding data in Fund Manager reports.

Postby johnreid » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:07 pm

I have a number of accounts and I would like to be able to combine into one report a number of stocks from both accounts - i.e., Financial Stocks or Canadian or American Stocks or ADRs.

It is possible to do this?

Thanks,

johnreid
johnreid

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:36 am

Hi johnreid,

Yes, you would just report at a higher level in the sub-portfolio hierarchy that contains all your account sub-portfolios. For example:

Code: Select all
- Master Portfolio
  - Acct 1
  - Acct 2

If you report at Master Portfolio, it will contain everything beneath it.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby johnreid » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:59 am

Thanks, I'll try that and report back.

johnreid
johnreid

Postby johnreid » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:15 am

I did create a Report as you suggested. However, it gives me all my holdings in the Master Portfolio. I tried to find some way to get rid of the holdings I do not want in the specific reports I am trying to create, i.e., US $, Can $, ADRs. Model Portfolios, etc.

The only way out I see is to create new sub-portfolios with those charactoristics and develop reports out of them - a great deal of extra work.

Is there another way?

John Reid
johnreid

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:01 am

Hi John,

You can create as much sub-portfolio hierarchy as you want. There is no limit. You can report on any level in this hierarchy, so if you can organize your sub-portfolios into however you want to report on them, then you can create reports at these levels.

Are you maybe trying to create a report at the top-most sub-portfolio level, and want to filter by currency? Many of the reports can have a filter set, so they only include what you choose for your filter. Only the "Portfolio Value" report is currently capable of filtering by currency. If you'd like to try this, create a Portfolio Value report, and in the Report Settings dialog, press the "Filter..." button. Choose to filter by "Currency", and then select the currency you want.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby johnreid » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:01 am

Well, here is what I did. I have on your advice created a sub-portfolio called ALL ADR. I have included all my ADRs in it. Where there are ADR purchases in different brokerage accounts, I have created a further stock record by taking one of the dublicate ADRs, making a copy of the .dat file, and renaming it XXX5.dat. I then opened it, and included the purchase of all that stock in the one file. I put in in my ALL ADR sub-portfolio and now I have the total of that stock in my consolidated sub-portfolio.

It means some extra effort, but it works and provides me with the information I want. I don't know if this is the easy way or not, but if not, perhaps you could advise.

Thanks,

johnreid
johnreid

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:29 am

Hi johnreid,

You could do it this way, or you can create place copies of the investments from your brokerage accounts in the ALL ADR sub-portfolio. For example:

Code: Select all
- Master Portfolio
  - Broker1
     - ADV_INV1.dat
  - Broker2
      -ADR_INV2.dat
  - ALL ADR
     - ADV_INV1.dat
      -ADR_INV2.dat

This way, when you retrieve/record transactions in your brokerage accounts, you don't have to re-record in the ALL ADR sub-portfolio. This sub-portfolio contains instances of the same investments that are located in your brokerage sub-portfolios.

To make a copy of an investment, use the Portfolio Editor. Select an investment, use "Edit / Copy". Go to the desired destination, and use "Edit / Paste". You are copying/pasting a copy of the same investment file. When you make an edit to that investment in any location, the changes will appear wherever you have it located.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Reports