Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Problem adding new investments.

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby DavidJ » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:47 am

Good evening!

I'm running FM 7.8. I was running it on Win2000 with no problems, but a few weeks ago my Win2000 machine reached the point of no return, so I moved FM to my Win XP Pro machine.

Everything seemed fine. FM allowed me to add distributions and sales. Today I tried to add a new investment for the first time on my new machine. First FM (or Windows) said something in the spirit of Access Denied, though I don't remember the exact message, and when I repeatedly tried to press the OK button to get to the stage where FM would normally ask me where and under what name I want to save the .dat file, the dialog box refused to react at all.

I found a workaround by sharing my FM data folder (even though I'm using it from my local machine) and then giving full control permissions to both the Administrators and Users groups. However, this doesn't sound all that safe, and I'd rather unshare the folder.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks.
David.
DavidJ

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:45 am

Hi DavidJ,

I'm not sure of the problem, but you could try un-sharing, and see if you can reproduce the problem. If you can, please let me know the exact error message.

I'd double check you aren't trying to overwrite a file marked as read-only. I assume you are running as an admin on this machine, so you should be able to write into any folder you want.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby DavidJ » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:17 pm

I feel silly, but I just unshared it and I CAN'T reproduce the problem. I got to the stage just before the actual saving of the file - an imaginary one this time - and everything seemed to work fine.

If it happens again, I'll record the exact error message.

By the way, I'm working as an Administrator right now, since the machine is still new, but on my old machine I always worked as a limited user, after having given myself permissions in the data folder. (I always have permissions in Program Files; there are too many problems otherwise.) And I had run attrib -R /S /D in the middle of my attempts before, just in case.

Thanks.
David.
DavidJ

Return to General