Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Initial Set-Up of Portfolio and accounts

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Dave055 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:27 pm

I'm evaluating Fund Manager for tracking my personal portfolio. I'm probably like 99% of the users of the software, in that I have an after-tax account, a 401K, IRAs and etc.

The same investment (stock or mutual fund) may be in several of the different accounts.

What is the best way to set up my portfolio and accounts so that I can see the return for the entire portfolio, each account, and for each individual investment.

My initial thought is to set up the Portfolio with each account being a sub-portfolio. Before I spend a lot of time entering data, I thought I'd ask for advice.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave055

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:27 am

Hi Dave,

Your plan is a good one. Usually you want to set up each account you have as its own sub-portfolio. You can then organize them further with additional sub-portfolio hierarchy if you want, or you can just have all of them under 1 master sub-portfolio. You can then graph/report on any level, so you can report at the account level or at your whole master level. If you decide in the future you want more structure, you could insert another level of sub-portfolios, like maybe Taxable and Tax-Free, or whatever you want. You can easily re-organize these sub-portfolios later by using the Portfolio Editor to just drag/drop.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby L Larson » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:27 pm

As example, I may have a couple stocks wiithin a self directed IRA which of course is under the umbrella of the MF company.
Then I might have same stock or stocks as standalone in a taxable account.
Its always been a MAJOR mental block (yes, that again....) to resolve these twins who really are not twins but entities of two kinds.
SO
If I EVER :cry: am able to get the Master Folio working and subs likewise, all will be OK???? I say this, because I seem to recall that Vanguard when DL their info you also have a choice?

ANY input/added hints appreciated.

Lars
L Larson

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:40 pm

Hi Lars,

If you own the same stock in multiple accounts, you would want an investment for each instance that you own. You would also normally organize your investments into sub-portfolios, based on account. So, something like this:

Code: Select all
1) Larson Holdings
  2) Vanguard
    3) Retirement Account
    3) Taxable Account
  2) Schwab

You may very well own the same stock in Schwab as you have in either of your Vanguard accounts. This is fine. For a little more info, see our FAQ on this at:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq_ ... tments.php
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby L Larson » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:51 am

Guesss thats about what I have done....

Thankx

New question posted somewhere this AM....

TIA

L
L Larson

Return to General