Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Separate Installation of V10

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby elliots » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:55 pm

Mark,

I want to run the v10 beta separate with separate data from v9. How do I do it?

1. When I execute the downloaded software it looks like it wants to update v9 and I chicken out. Do I continue and will it give me the option of where to install v10?

2. After I get v10 installed, can I restore a backup of the v9 program to get a clean copy of the data? Is that the right way?

Elliot
elliots

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:17 pm

Hi Elliot,

When you run the installation, the first step is to agree to the license terms. After that screen you are given the choice of where to install the program. You can simply install 10.0 to a different folder, like:

c:\program files\fund manager 10

The tricky part is maintaining separate data. Installing separate copies of Fund Manager should be straight forward. The safest thing to do is make a backup of your v9 data using v9 before ever installing v10. This way you can always go back if you run into any troubles.

If all of your FM data is currently in a folder, make a copy of that folder, and give it a name that identifies it as v10 data. When you first start Fund Manager it automatically re-opens your last portfolio file. In the case of starting v10 you don't want it to open your 9.x data, so here is a good tip:

Start version 9, and do a "File / Backup..." and then do a "File / Close Portfolio", and then exit. Now, install v10 to a different folder, and when you start v10 it won't try to open your v9 portfolio, since you closed it before exiting last time. Now, do a "File / Open Portfolio..." and browse to the folder you created with your v10 data, and open the portfolio from there.

This was kind of a long winded answer, and it really isn't that hard, but there are pitfalls, especially when trying to keep 2 separate sets of data from 2 versions.

The bug rate on v10 has been quite low, so I expect we'll be coming out with the official 10.0 release in the next week or so. If you want, you can just wait until then.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General