Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

about notes import and user definable marker icon

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby simpoo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:27 am

Hi, I try to find a portfolio management program recently, and have some question/feature request about FM.

1. manage(import/export, etc.) notes and memos
for example, if I change to FM, how to move my historical trading diary from text file to FM notes ?

2. a tooltip-like note display
display the data associated with that marker at the mouse position like Windows tooltip

3. user definable marker icon
for example, how to set Windows Notebook icon for the note, or use an icon file for marker ?

4. user definable marker location
for example, note icon can be located near the status bar

5. weekly/monthly graph(histogram) and report
I am used to analysis my weekly/monthly portfolio gain, for a time period, but I don't know how to bring this out with FM.

English is not my mother language, thanks for FM team, thanks for any help :)
Last edited by simpoo on Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simpoo

Postby Mark » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:22 am

Hi simpoo,

1) Unfortunately there is not currently any method for importing/exporting the "Notes". You can import/export the transaction "Memo" with the transaction import/export commands.

2-4) Thanks for the ideas/feedback. As you've probably seen, these are not currently available features today.

5) We don't have a histogram view, but you can do a line chart of the portfolio gain using the "Portfolio Gain" graph. This graph can plot either the "Current" or "Historical" out of pocket gain/loss. Press the "Help / Help on Graph" menu command while viewing this graph for a detailed explanation. You can also get the gain/loss for any time period you want in reports. For example, the "Portfolio Performance" report has a "Gain" column. You can also build your own "Custom" report with this field. You can have up to 6 date ranges in a report, so you could get the gain/loss for 6 distinct date ranges in a single report.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby simpoo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:34 pm

[quote="Mark"]Hi simpoo,

5) We don't have a histogram view, but you can do a line chart of the portfolio gain using the "Portfolio Gain" graph. This graph can plot either the "Current" or "Historical" out of pocket gain/loss. Press the "Help / Help on Graph" menu command while viewing this graph for a detailed explanation. You can also get the gain/loss for any time period you want in reports. For example, the "Portfolio Performance" report has a "Gain" column. You can also build your own "Custom" report with this field. You can have up to 6 date ranges in a report, so you could get the gain/loss for 6 distinct date ranges in a single report.[/quote]

Thank you Mark,

as my understanding, does this means, in this conditions, user can only review 6 weeks/monthes long weekly/monthly gain report or graph?
but mostly, I often review my weekly/monthly gain of several years long period, can I do this in FM ?
simpoo

Postby simpoo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:41 pm

And for the "user definable marker icon" feature, your reply make me recalled, as I remember, that I have report this ideas/feedback to FM forum several years ago(about 2002, sorry, I can't find the record in this forum now), and they thanked for my idea too at that time.

so I just want have a ask, does FM ever plan to support these functions or just make a polite reply to any user like me?

for these years, the screen of the PC is larger and larger, and user can display more information in their screen, so these kind of functions can give the user a better visual experience, and added several small icon files include in the MM4 files maybe not change too more to the FM's simply user interface, I think.

anyway, Thank you very much :)
simpoo

Postby Mark » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:57 pm

Hi simpoo,

as my understanding, does this means, in this conditions, user can only review 6 weeks/monthes long weekly/monthly gain report or graph?

In the graph, you can look at the gain/loss for any time period you want, and the gain/loss is plotted every day within the date range of the graph.

In the reports, you can get up to 6 discrete values for the gain/loss.

It might be best understood by viewing this graph and a report.

And for the "user definable marker icon" feature, your reply make me recalled, as I remember, that I have report this ideas/feedback to FM forum several years ago(about 2002, sorry, I can't find the record in this forum now), and they thanked for my idea too at that time.

so I just want have a ask, does FM ever plan to support these functions or just make a polite reply to any user like me?

for these years, the screen of the PC is larger and larger, and user can display more information in their screen, so these kind of functions can give the user a better visual experience, and added several small icon files include in the MM4 files maybe not change too more to the FM's simply user interface, I think.

I'm sorry we haven't been able to implement your idea so far. We try to not ever promise any feature, until it has been implemented/released. We do appreciate feedback, but just making a feature suggestion doesn't mean that it will be implemented. We have this on our list of features to consider, but I cannot say for sure if/when it will be implemented. There are many factors that go into deciding what gets implemented. In general, it is the features that are most beneficial to the most number of users that get put towards the top of the priority list.

If you are a licensed user can you send us an email with your current serial number? We don't seem to have your email in our records. You can email us here:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/email.html
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby simpoo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:13 pm

[quote="Mark"]Hi simpoo,

In the graph, you can look at the gain/loss for any time period you want, and the gain/loss is plotted every day within the date range of the graph.

In the reports, you can get up to 6 discrete values for the gain/loss.

It might be best understood by viewing this graph and a report.

[/quote]

Thank you Mark,
I know that I can look at the gain/loss for any time period as I want, what I don't know is how to look at a weekly/monthly gain/loss for many years long? I mean in one screen.

and I am not a licensed user now, but I have tried FM several years age.
simpoo

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:17 am

Hi simpoo,

Sorry, we do not have such a view.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby simpoo » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:37 pm

Thank you Mark,

I really admire to any programmer who can devoted over 10 years to develop and improve a useful program.

the functions what I write in this post are important for me, maybe there's the differentness of the thought between the eastern and weastern.

Thank you very much
and BTW, can anyone tell me some other good portfolio management software I can try too?
simpoo

Return to General